Style

New York Fashion Week as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

New York Fashion Week (NYFW), held in February and September of each year, is a semi-annual series of events (generally lasting 7–9 days) when international fashion collections are shown to buyers, the press, and the general public. Brands show off new collections for fall and spring in order to see what the general public is interested in. 

In September of 2019, New York Fashion Week was held from September 4th-11th, the show included brands such as ALIÉTTE, Cynthia Rowley,Torah Wang, Blonds, the list goes on. Each day there are various shows allowing individuals to select shows containing their favorite brands. 

Tickets range from prices starting at $30-100 plus and are based on the available shows and the different designers who are presenting. Each show lasts an hour, and during the shows you are likely to see various collections from multiple designers in one setting. 

The overall question is NYFW worth attending. The answer is 100% yes. If you are a lover of fashion or want to see your favorite designers showcase new clothing items for the first time, then the show is for you. Another benefit to attending the show is the fact that you not only get to experience various cultures, but you can enjoy a couple days in the “Big Apple.” Nothing is better than visiting the city that never sleeps.

Kristen is a sophomore Writing Rhetoric and Technical Communication Major at James Madison University. Favorites include binge-watching youtube videos, eating acai bowls, running on trails, and having self-care days!
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.