This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

There’s something about getting new clothes that has a liberating effect and ultimately puts us in a better mood; why, we may never know, but it’s a fact we must deal with.  Online shopping can put a huge dent in our pockets, especially on a collegiette budget.  So what are we supposed to do about our shopaholic tendencies?  Revamp our old clothes, of course.

Trend #1: Skirt to shirt

This simple style switch can turn heads in a minute.  Body-con skirts work great alter-egos as tube tops, so why not give it a shot?  Skirts come in tons of different patterns, so they’re perfect for when you’re getting bored of your “going out” shirts.  Check out a friend of mine, Anna (far right), who wore her skirt as a shirt.  So cute!

Trend #2: Sweater to leg warmers

We all have an old sweater we don’t wear anymore, so why not turn it into cute legwarmers?  Simply cut off the sleeves to the desired length, and wear them under boots or with flats for a cozy look.  No need to spend almost $20 on designer socks that go under your boots- just make your own!

Trend #3: Tunic dress to shirt (inspired by my awesome cousin, Kelly Zaky)

Tunic dresses are adorable in the summertime, but how can we make use of them during the colder months?  It’s simple- tunics can be adorable with leggings or skinny jeans and boots for a completed look.  You still get the adorable dress, but without the goosebumps!

Next time you go for that credit card, stop yourself!  Just remember that you can turn your old clothes into new trends faster than you can receive an online shopping order, and your bank account will thank you.  For more ideas like this, check out Pinterest (follow us by clicking here)!

Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.
I am a junior at JMU studying Media Arts & Design- Corporate Communication. I am a member of Phi Mu Fraternity in addition to Her Campus! I was born in Troy, OH and grew up in both Kings Mountain, NC and Richmond, VA. I am the oldest child, the only blonde in my immediate family, and the only one who has 20/20 vision.