This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! December is a chaotic and magical month. Last-minute shopping trips to the mall, icing-induced stomach aches, jingle bells and twinkling lights are all highlights of this special month. Another integral factor that brings the magic of this time of year into fruition is Holiday-themed TV show episodes. From The O.C.s “Chrismukkah” to Friend’s “Holiday Armadillo”, these episodes evoke an unmistakable joy and anticipation for the holidays. Here, I’ll list exactly what episodes are necessary for your 2023 holiday season binge.

The O.C. – “The Best Chrismukkah Ever” (S1E13)

I am a sucker for early 2000s teen dramas, and The O.C. just so happens to be my favorite due to the fact that the characters are equally sympathetic and likable which is incredibly rare to find. “Chrismukkah” (Seth Cohen’s very own fusion of Christmas and Hanukkah) quickly became a staple of The O.C. This episode serves as the introduction to the iconic holiday and creates a perfect mix of love triangle drama between Seth, Summer, and Anna, and familial burdens and messiness that comes with Christmastime.

2c42fbcb 125f 48a1 b1cd e6bf0666a077 screen shot 2022 12 19 at 114717 am

The Office – “Christmas Party” (S2E10)

It was hard to limit this to just one The Office Christmas episode because they are all just so good, but this one has always been my favorite (followed by “A Benihana Christmas” in Season 3). In this episode, Michael comically turns Secret Santa into a Yankee Swap to ensure that he gets a well-deserved, good gift. As a Jim and Pam girl (because who isn’t), I love this episode so much because of Jim’s sweet teapot gift filled with inside jokes for Pam. The romantic tension is palpable. This episode also serves as an introduction to the famous teapot letter that he eventually gives to Pam seasons later, revealing he kept it after he decided to take it back before Pam could read it in this episode. This episode is perfect for anyone looking for laughs and romance.

images

Gilmore Girls – “The Bracebridge Dinner” (S2E10)

Horse carriage rides, snow-dusted Connecticut, and a snowman building contest—what is more festive than that? When Lorelai and Sookie decide to make the most of an inn cancellation, they take it upon themselves to invite folks from Stars Hollow to an Old-English themed feast. The whimsey of Stars Hollow and the bubbling Dean, Jess, and Rory love triangle make this episode an angsty and festive must-watch.

a344d9aab79e737627400912a5f28d15

Gossip Girl – “Roman Holiday” (S1E11)

It’s Christmastime in the city. When Blair’s holiday spirit is stunted by her estranged father’s boyfriend, Roman, she construes a plan to get rid of him. In the midst of this scheme, she grows to accept Roman and embraces spending a very Waldorf Christmas with her family. Serena creates an elaborate Winter Wonderland for Dan, making their first Christmas together an unforgettable one. This episode blends scandalous drama, adolescent love, family tension, and a beautiful Christmas in Manhattan.

111GossipGirl1330

Friends – “The One With the Holiday Armadillo” (S7E10)

Though Friends is mostly known for its iconic Thanksgiving episodes, it does the holidays just as well. When Ross realizes all of the Santa costumes were all rented out when on a mission to make this holiday special for his son, Ben, he settles for an armadillo costume, naming himself the “Holiday Armadillo.” Ross’ eager mission to make Ben excited for Hanukkah’s festivities, educate him on the holiday, as well as the comical appearances and costumes of the rest of the characters, this episode is a hilarious way to build anticipation for the holidays.

friends holiday armadillo today 160128 01

Festive TV episodes are a timeless holiday tradition. They are a certified destresser for finals and quick pick-me-up when you feel like your holiday spirit’s running low. Grab some peppermint hot chocolate, sugar cookies, and a cozy blanket for your holiday binge. Happy Holidays, readers!

Amanda is a freshman Writing and Rhetoric major with a Creative Writing minor at James Madison University. Amanda loves binge-watching "Sex and the City", drinking iced lattes, cuddling cats, reading romance and thriller novels, and listening to music (Taylor Swift, Gracie Abrams, and Phoebe Bridgers mostly). Ultimately, Amanda wishes to pursue a career involving writing, reading, editing, or publishing.