This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Every song can be interpreted in an endless amount of ways. Music videos are interesting because they usually depict a song in a completely different way than you may have thought about it in your head. They have the power to put an emotion to the song that is not there just by listening to it. Here is a list of songs that have an emotional, heartbreaking portrayal of the song that range from sad love stories to deeper world-wide issues.

1. All I Need by Radiohead: This video has a powerful message shows the difference between a kid growing here in the US versus a kid in a foreign country working in a sweatshop. The powerful message makes it impossible not to tear up by the last scene.

2. What Hurts The Most by Rascal Flatts: This Rascal Flatts music video about a tragic young relationship adds an emotional twist to an already sad song.

3. Happier by Marshmello: There is no way this video about a girl and her first dog doesn’t have you in tears by the end. Any girl who has a pet can relate to this emotional connection.

4. I’m Not the Only One by Sam Smith: This sad love story about infidelity combined with Sam Smith’s powerful voice is guaranteed to take a toll on your emotions.

5. 1-800-273-8255 by Logic: This music video has a powerful message and puts in perspective some of the struggles of growing up having to hide your sexuality. This video is not only an important message but is also emotionally moving.

Erin Janiga is a freshman at James Madison University.
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.