Mr. and Ms. Madison: Pat O’Brien & Stephanie Atienza

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

In high school, being the Homecoming Queen and King might be an honor, but it is admittedly a popularity contest. However, here at JMU, our version is much different. We all know that JMU has the best students in the country! So, every year during Homecoming Week, our student body nominates candidates for Mr. and Ms. Madison. Mr. and Ms. Madison are two seniors who have exemplified what it truly means to “bleed purple” by being involved not only with all that JMU has to offer, but also with the Harrisonburg community.

These students are always an inspiration, as the list of what they’ve done for this university seems to never end. This year, the winners of the student-elected title are no exception.

Pat O’ Brien, senior biology and health sciences double major, has proved that college is much more than classes. He is involved with his fraternity Delta Sigma Phi as New Member Educator, has served as Student Director for Make Your Mark On Madison and is also an active member of SafeRides and Habitat for Humanity. With all of his extra-curricular involvement and charisma, it was no surprise he was named Mr. Madison 2012.

Stephanie Atienza’s list of contributions to JMU is just as impressive, also making it clear why she is Ms. Madison this year. She is currently the Center Stage Committee Admin Chair for University Program Board and a member of Catholic Campus Ministries and InterVarsity. In her time here, she has served as a 2011 First yeaR Orientation Guide (FrOG) and participated in an Alternative Spring Break trip to New Orleans. Stephanie keeps busy by doing community service within the Harrisonburg community. She helps by volunteering at Our Community Place and the Special Olympics, and by reading to elementary school students. 

Pat and Stephanie were nice enough to give an interview to Her Campus JMU on their experiences here at JMU and how it feels to earn the title of Mr. and Ms. Madison.

HCJMU: Being Mr. and Ms. Madison is an honor as you are voted upon by the student body. What was the moment like on the Bridgeforth field after you’d won?

Pat: The moment on the field truly felt like a blur. I remember hearing my name over the speakers and was in complete shock. I was so excited to be standing on the field in front of so many people that care about JMU as much as I do. I was with my parents, who have been my role models throughout life and helped to shape me into what I am today. Overall, it was the most surreal moment and amazing feeling all combined into one.

Stephanie: Hearing my name was one of the most surreal moments of my life. I wasn’t expecting anything, as I was already thankful to just be in the Top 4! It took me a few seconds to comprehend that my name was called. Once it hit me, I was so honored and thankful, and had to be strong to keep my tears from coming out! I was just so happy, honored and thankful to know the student body voted for me for such an amazing recognition to represent JMU. There are really no words to describe the feeling! Seeing the looks on my parents’ faces and hearing my name being cheered from the stands is something I can’t even put into words! I felt overwhelmed with thanks to God, my family and JMU for helping me grow! Thinking of that moment still gives me chills!

HCJMU: Mr. and Ms. Madison is more than just a title. In your own words, can you describe what being Mr. or Ms. Madison means to you?

Pat: For me, Mr. Madison means an individual who represents what James Madison University is all about. Other than the school pride and academics, JMU encourages its students to get involved and help “be the change.” JMU is an institution that prides itself on service and on growth. With that being said, the term Mr. Madison is an embodiment of all of these aspects and more. There are so many students who fit this ticket, so I am just humbled to be the one to have received the title.

Stephanie: To define Ms. Madison in my own words, I would say that it is a reminder that being myself and putting my passions into action has made a positive impact here at JMU! Never stop giving back, being who you are, loving and embracing what JMU is all about because it can make a difference to those around you. By you caring and valuing people for who they are, you can develop so many great friendships that will help you grow together. Being Ms. Madison is one way to show that by being who you are, you can be a positive impact! Never let go of your passions or that love to give and care because your actions can go a long way!

HCJMU: Do you have a JMU “aha” moment that’d you like to share? When did you know you’d chosen the right university?

Pat: The moment I knew JMU was right for me occurred before my senior year of high school. I came to the campus and stayed in the Village for a football camp. After seeing the campus, eating the food, meeting staff that work at the school and hearing about the school from students, I was confident that this was the university I wanted to attend. I knew I had chosen the right university on move-in day of 1787 August Orientation. When all the fun and peppy First yeaR Orientation Guides helped move everything into my dorm, as well as comfort my parents and talk with me, I knew I was at the right school. Ever since that day, I have never looked back and have been blessed with everything this institution has offered.

Stephanie: Yes! I think one of my “aha” moments would have to be when I was a FrOG in the summer of 2011. My FrOG partner and I were doing our last closing activity with our first-years. We did an activity where a few people stood in the middle of the circle with our backs facing them. Someone would then read comments such as “squeeze someone’s shoulder who has helped make a positive difference this week.” My shoulder was squeezed and it was in that moment that I just felt so grateful that I helped my first years have a good transition period into college. I was so thankful to be a part of that experience, and so happy to be at a university that does programs like this to help students come into college. JMU’s orientation program is so giving and I remember it being a big help when I came as a first-year! I love JMU so much and I think it was in that moment I realized the kind of atmosphere JMU gives to people.

HCJMU: In three words, describe your Madison Experience: 

Pat: Growth. Opportunity. Passion.

Stephanie: Living the Dream!

HC JMU: What will you miss most about JMU when you graduate? 

Pat: I will definitely miss the people. JMU has an amazing atmosphere that the students, faculty and staff all help to create. This family atmosphere of love and kindness is going to be hard to find anywhere else.

Stephanie: What I will miss the most about JMU are the people. I have made some amazing, genuine friends here and it’s going to be different not seeing them all the time! I am also going to miss the organizations and all the great things JMU has to offer! I’m going to miss that sense of community and happiness JMU gives! Ah, and I am going to miss seeing the mountains every day and the sunsets from ISAT!

Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!