samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Most Challenging Part of 9 JMU Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.
All of the majors at JMU are challenging in their own way. Here’s what some students reported was the most difficult aspect of their major.

Chemistry: “It’s really difficult being surrounded by so many intelligent professors and students. You constantly feel inadequate. Also, the workload is tough.”

Finance: “None of it is easy. Keeping up with the reading is the hardest part. There’s so much conceptual stuff behind the numbers.”

Social Work: “Things aren’t outlined for you ‘A, B, C, D.’ You have to be flexible and figure things out on your own. You learn through your failures and your strengths.”

International Business: “The semester in which you take COB 300 is the hardest. The coursework isn’t horribly difficult, but taking five courses plus working with a group of people to create a twenty-page report is a lot to handle. It takes patience, time management and a lot of hard work.”

Geography: “We don’t usually get clear instructions for assignments and projects. We have to figure out the best way to visually display the work we’ve done.”

Health Sciences: “It’s challenging because there are so many different paths you can take. People have pre-professional programs, and then they get done and realize they want to do something different. It’s very open-ended.”

Engineering: “The course material can be very challenging to understand, and it’s worse when you don’t have a good group. We do a lot of work in teams.”

Media Arts and Design: “All the work you do is very personal. It’s not just about the skills you have or the stuff you know; it’s about your aesthetic and your taste-level. You constantly worry that everything good has already been done.”

Geology: “As with most science majors, the prerequisites needed before beginning the major work are extremely difficult to get through.”

Hey everyone! I'm Megan, a senior at James Madison University pursuing a double major in the School of Media Arts and Design (with a concentration in journalism) and political science, and a minor in political communication. I am an avid Netflix viewer, obsessed with breakfast foods, and a yogi-- queue the headstand. I love to read news and stay up to date with all things pop culture...and I also love to write, go figure! Due to extreme wanderlust, I am always on the move, and I look forward to traveling the world and whatever comes with it. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you have. Enjoy!