Mike Dolzer ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Year: junior

Majors: media arts & design (journalism) and writing, rhetoric, and technical communication

Hometown: Charlottesville, VA

Relationship status: single

So what’s it like working as one of The Breeze’s magaging editors?

It’s great and it’s a ton of work. We just covered the Mike Pence rally, so it’s exciting to be involved with something that informs so many people. A lot of my job is making sure the paper is visually appealing as well as engaging in terms of content, so I take a lot of pride in what I do.

You spent the summer in LA, can you tell us a little more about that?

I interned with a phenomenal company called Young Hollywood where I learned a lot about entertainment reporting, which is something I’m passionate about. It was also just so exciting being in a city where so many amazing experiences are right at your fingertips. For example I got to go to Conan, I sat front row at LA Swim Week, I went to red carpets and fanboyed over celebrities like Liam Hemsworth and Kevin Hart. I even got to meet celebrities like Chad Michael Murray, Eric Andre and MAGIC! face-to-face because of my job. LA was such a great experience, and I’m very glad I got to live there for two months with a bunch of great students from the SMAD department and our wonderful professors!

What do you like to do in your free time?

I perennially overbook myself, but when I do have free time I like to spend it catching up with my friends, preferably over drinks or some kind of unhealthy food. The deep fried oreos from Jack Brown’s come to mind. I’m also a huge fan of American Horror Story, BoJack Horseman and Bob’s Burgers.

What are you hoping to do after college?

After college I’d love to do some form of broadcast journalism since I fell in love with connecting to an audience during the course of my internship in LA. If I could find a way to marry broadcast and writing in Los Angeles, I’d be living the life I always dreamt of.

Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.