Live Life with These 7 Cliches

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Do you sometimes find yourself sounding like a Hallmark card when talking about life? Or when you’re having an emotional breakdown and someone throws a stupid saying your way and you just want to throw it back at her face? Yeah, well me too. But! There are a few things that really do make life so much easier if you remember them.

1. The Golden Rule

So often we don’t think about how what we’re saying can affect others, even without them realizing it. But if we stop and remember to treat people the way that we want to be treated, life is so much better because we won’t have to regret any decisions since they’re all made with good intentions.

2. Everything happens for a reason

Now, I have a few issues with this one. My Godmother actually played a word flip on me… For a reason everything happens. It’s only a minor difference, but it’s still a change. Don’t worry about what the reason is quite yet, because soon enough it makes itself known and it makes sense all of a sudden.

3. Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got.

There are times when we just have to let go of the things we can’t change and move forward with life. It’s okay to be mad for a bit, but it shouldn’t consume your thoughts. We can’t resent people for who they aren’t; it eats us up and they will never know. (Full credit for that advice goes to my Dad.)

4. Patience is a virtue

My usual response: “Yeah, and one I ain’t got.” Truly though, patience makes things seem worth it ultimately. If you don’t want it by the time it gets to you, you probably don’t want it that badly anyway!

5. Stop and smell the roses.

Half of our life is spent trying to figure out what to do with all the time we “save” by rushing around impatiently. RELAX. Yes, deadlines are important, but it’s not the end of the world if you miss one. Enjoy life as it comes.

6. To each his own.

We won’t always agree with every decision the people around us make, and that’s normal. We’re not supposed to be the same—If everyone is thinking the same thing, someone isn’t thinking. Try not to judge the mistakes of others; their mistakes do not define them. What you say about others says more about you than it does them.

7. My personal favorite: If nothing ever changed, there’d be no butterflies.

The only thing constant in life is change. Accept it, it’s not worth trying to make time freeze—trust me I’ve tried. Go with the flow and accept that things are different, but know that they help us to grow as individuals. See the beauty in the change and use it to your advantage.

Have you ever thought "Am I the only one who..."? I'm sure you have, and I promise you're not. Live the life you love. I don't take things too seriously, because life is too short to be so obsessed with what everyone thinks of me. I became a writer so I could say what everyone else is thinking. I believe that treating others the way you want to be treated means you will never have to regret a decision you make. I make mistakes, but that's what makes great articles!