Life Lessons You Should Have Learned By Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

1. Life is not fair. This is probably the most overused saying in the history of forever; however, it’s true. The world owes you nothing and you don’t owe it anything either.

2. You can’t eat anything and everything you want, whenever you want it. Those quesadillas and onion rings from Cook-Out are going to catch up to you.

3. If you get a call at 2 a.m., it’s 99.9 percent a booty call. “He’s Just Not That into You” couldn’t have said it better: Realistically speaking, you are the rule — not the exception.

4. Judging others does not make you any better of a person.

5. Feeling guilty and worried about things you have done in the past only increases the likelihood you will do it again.

6. There are other “fish” in the sea… roughly seven billion of them.

7. Eat a solid meal before downing those five shots of vodka. That should be a given.

8. All-nighters are not fun. Don’t believe the hype. Plus, they get harder and harder to accomplish every time.

9. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. There are pros and cons with every circumstance, so appreciate where you are and what you’ve got.

10. Speaking of what you have: You get what you work for.

11. At the end of the day, all you truly have is yourself.

12. If you have no income, friends, support system, etc., it may be time to reassess your life and realize that you might be the problem.

13. You’ll regret skipping your nightly hygienic routine in the morning. Just wash your face and brush your teeth. It takes three minutes and isn’t worth the Godzilla breath or the outbreak that’s about to take place on your face.

14. Dressing up for school is overrated. You’re going to an 8 a.m. Gen-Ed on the other side of campus… not a runway or photo shoot.

15. Sometimes it’s necessary to call people out on their bullshit. You’re doing them a favor in the long run.

16. There’s no such thing as a perfect person.

17. Fairytales aren’t real. Who wants to turn into a pumpkin anyway?

18. Sleep can cure almost anything. It just doesn’t make homework and other responsibilities disappear.

19. Don’t drink, text or change the song on your iPod and drive. Bad things will ensue.

20. If you don’t ask for the cookie, chances are slim to none that you’re actually going to get it. So don’t be pissed off about the outcome if you didn’t even assert yourself as an option.

21. Be safe rather than sorry! And by this, I mean go on the pill and always use a condom.

22. Flossing is important.

23. Saying no to people is the greatest thing you will ever learn. It gives you more time to do things you actually enjoy.

24. Personal space is a thing— a HUGE thing.

25. Guys and girls can be just friends.

B.F.A., Studio Art, PrintmakingTrack II Honors Student