Style > Beauty

Legislation on Cosmetics & Personal Care Products Needs an Update

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Many people aren’t aware of this, but laws for cosmetics and personal care products have not been updated since the Great Depression. That was 80 years ago. Current legislation doesn’t require manufacturers to completely disclose the harmful ingredients in these products. Some of which have been linked to cancer, impairing both men and women’s reproductive health, and causing severe allergies.

Some common, yet harmful, ingredients include:

• Phthalates – Found in cosmetics and fragrance mixtures
  • Formaldehyde Releasers – Found in shampoos, conditioners, and bubble bath products

• Parabens – Used as preservatives in some cosmetic products

• Triclosan & Triclocarban – Colgate Total toothpastes, liquid hand soaps, body washes, clothing, cutting boards, and other household goods

This is a huge problem that affects the majority of the population, so why aren’t more of us aware of the issue? 

Reform advocates, like Environmental Working Group (EWG), have made it their mission to to educate and raise awareness of the harm that these outdated laws are causing among consumers. They’ve created a campaign called #BeautyMadeBetter to call for a change. 

Kourtney Kardashian has become a partner of EWG and has even visited Capitol Hill this past spring to speak on behalf of the organization. She became an advocate for cosmetic and personal care legislation reform after the birth of her first son. She admits how scary it is to her that unsafe products are being made available for people to by, especially young children.

A reform bill titled the “Personal Care Products Safety Act” has been filed by Senators Diane Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Susan Collins (R-Maine). This bipartisan bill would require cosmetics and personal care manufacturers to register with FDA and disclose ingredient statements. 

Now it’s our turn to push for change. Let’s help this bill get passed to ensure safer products for consumers.

School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.