Kelly McClure: Top Gun Talent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

James Madison’s latest Campus Celeb has a unique story to share, with big plans for the future. Growing up with an airline captain as a father, senior Kelly McClure has always been interested in the field of aviation. and ultimately decided to continue on with the family tradition. She became serious about lessons in her later teenage years and ended up with a private pilot’s license by the time she was 20!

Majoring in International Affairs along with taking several courses in Marketing, Kelly has been able to utilize her major and relevant coursework to best fit her interests in aviation. During her semester in London, Kelly not only got the chance to experience new cultures, but also work as an intern at the Royal Aeronautical Society, writing for Aerospace International magazine. Her background in the field has made her confident in her pursuits for her future and she is eager to get others involved in the industry. 

Wanting to create an impact in the field of aviation at JMU, Kelly started Flight Club as a place where people with licenses or those interested in flying in general could meet and discuss and learn more about aviation and all it has to offer. Kelly remarks, “Aviation has the misconception of being a hobby that is difficult to access, but all you need to do is meet some new people and not be afraid to say hello! Pilots are some of the most generous and kind people, so I wanted to give JMU students the opportunity to see that.”

Sadly, the vast majority of pilots today are older men and there is speculation that there may be a shortage in the industry in the coming decade. Kelly would love to break this trend, providing yet another example of why she started Flight Club. Getting the younger generation to engage in aviation and continue on in the industry is a tough hurdle, but Kelly hopes to get every member in an airplane to truly experience flight. “That is really the only way to get people hooked on flying, and once I do that, I think many students will catch the bug and continue on with lessons,” notes Kelly on her plans for the club. 

As a senior, Kelly is eager to start her life in the “real world” and inspire others. Kelly is fortunate to have already accepted a job in a Leadership Development Program with Textron, working in aviation sales and marketing with its subsidiary, Cessna Aircraft Company. Thrilled to share her passion, Kelly says, “I hope to continue getting younger people interested in aviation outside of my job along with taking on active roles and participating in organizations such as the Experimental Aircraft Association.”

Fun fact: Kelly’s favorite movie is Top Gun and she loves a good pair of aviator glasses (but really, who doesn’t?)
Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!