This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Major: Media Arts and Design

Minor: Communications, British Comm. and Media

Year: Senior

Campus Involvement: SafeRides Executive board, Maddy Night Live

Favorite JMU memory?

My first Madipalooza probably. Two of my freshman year hall mates (who are now my roommates) and I walked from Shorts Hall to Festival, which was probably the most physical activity I had done that year. I didn’t know what to expect, but it was so much fun, and I ate way too much free food.

Favorite class taken at JMU?

Last year I took a creative writing nonfiction class, and the ultimate goal was to write a twenty-page memoir. It was a little intimidating at first because the expectation was to get really deep with the class really quickly, but I loved my class and my professor. I ended up falling in love with writing in a new way and learning a lot about myself.

Favorite sketch you’ve ever been in in Maddy Night Live?

It was a play on Valentine’s Day called “Valenwhine’s Day”. It was six girls going around talking about how alone they were, and my character was just the ultimate cynic. My character’s life just got worse and worse, and the reactions from the audience were a mix of hysterical laughter and “Oh God…” so it went really well!

Dream job?

I would love to be Miley Cyrus’ publicist. I think that’s a job that most people would run screaming from, but I’m ready to embrace the challenge.

Favorite outfit worn to a theme party?

Probably road-kill. The theme was Animal House and my friend Annie and I wanted to think outside of the box because we didn’t want to be cats or bunnies (no offense to them of course). Our first idea was to go as hippogriffs but we didn’t have the supplies, so we decided to go as road-kill instead. That was another time in my life when the reactions were a mixture of laughter and “Oh God…”

What piece of advice would you like to give to underclassmen?

Don’t be afraid to do things on your own and spend time by yourself. There’s so much pressure to get involved in everything, and always be meeting someone new and doing something with a group, but I think it’s equally important to take time for yourself once in a while.

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.