Kayla Cooper, president of Alpha Phi Omega

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Alpha Phi Omega is JMU’s only co-ed service fraternity. Its principles are based on leadership, friendship and service. With over 2,000 hours of community service done a semester between the 70-plus members, this fraternity has touched so many lives throughout the Harrisonburg community. Some of the frat’s service projects include SPCA, Salvation Army, Boys and Girls Clubs, Special Olympics, Habitat for Humanity and many others. Also, every semester the fraternity votes on a philanthropy to raise money for. Last semester they raised over $1,000 for Our Community Place, a nonprofit community center that promotes well-being and recovery for the Harrisonburg community.

Although there are many leaders within the fraternity who keep everything in line, Kayla Cooper, APO’s new president, talks about what APO means to her:

What does APO mean to you?

I’ve been in APO a year now. APO has meant so much to me this past year and has afforded me some of the most amazing experiences in my JMU career. 

How has APO changed you? I’m definitely a different person now than I was when went through rush last year. APO has opened so many doors for me to do service, make amazing friends and explore leadership opportunities.

What else are you involved in? My major is sociology with a minor in human resource development. Currently, my only major involvement is APO seeing as I just finished my contract as an Orientation Peer Adviser.

How does it feel being president? Being president of this organization has been very humbling so far. I’ve appreciated all the faith and trust each member of this organization has put in me and I hope to only make it even better!

What do you hope for in the future? For the future of APO, I hope that each member of this organization and APO as a whole can inspire others outside of this organization to do service as well.

What do you want the JMU/Harrisonburg community to know about APO? If there was one thing I’d want the JMU/Harrisonburg community to know about APO it’d be that we not only do a lot of service, but we genuinely care about all those we come in contact with through service.

With APO’s rush week in full swing, it’s important to recognize the service-oriented students lending a hand to the Harrisonburg community. Fundraising for their new philanthropy is coming soon, so keep your eyes out for a chance to donate.