Katie Egan: Alternative Spring Breaker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Ever wanted to take your volunteer experience to a new level?  Alternative Spring Break (ASB) is the perfect way for students interested in helping others, the environment, children, and various other things to bring their desire to a new and exciting location!  Katie Egan, a senior English major, has been a participant and a leader and is now about to go on her third trip with ASB!  Read on to see why she thinks you should travel too…

HC JMU: Which trips have you been on/are planning on going on?
Katie: When I was a sophomore I was a participant on a trip to Orlando, Florida. We worked with United Way and got the chance to volunteer at multiple non-profit organizations. Last year I co-led a trip to Joshua Tree National Park in California. I plan on co-leading a trip again this year…and the destination has yet to be decided!

HC JMU: Which trip has been your favorite so far?
Katie: Although they were both such different experiences that allowed me to learn so much, my trip to Joshua Tree was my favorite. I was able to immerse myself in an environment in a way I never have before. It was the biggest leadership experience I had ever been involved with… and it was also one of the first times I had gone camping for longer than two nights! I really enjoyed being able to “rough it” for the week (including no real showers…) and also benefited from working to preserve the high desert. It was a week that has changed my mindset and one that I will remember for a lifetime!

HC JMU: Why did you want to become an ASB trip leader?
Katie: During and after my first trip I knew that I wanted to challenge myself and apply to be a leader. Since I was young, I have been involved with many service activities and thought this was a great way to continue that in college.  I often think about the T.S. Elliot quotation “disturb the Universe.” A long term goal of mine is to take steps, no matter how small, towards changing the world. After I graduate this May I hope to serve with AmeriCorps, so I think being a trip leader has been a great way to prepare for that!

HC JMU: How have the trips compared being a leader and being a regular traveler?
Katie: The biggest component that is missing when being a participant is that you aren’t able to see the process of how the trip develops from start to finish. More specifically, my personal favorite part of being a leader has been watching my participants grow and develop over the past several months. I love hearing about how the trip affects each of them and what they are doing now because of it. Another part of being a leader that I really benefited from was being able to go through training. The skills I learned there will be helpful in all my future endeavors!

HC JMU: What has been your best memory?
Katie: Oh, so many memories! In Orlando, the memory that sticks out most is when we wrote poems with a group of inner city youth at the New Image Youth Center. In Joshua Tree, my favorite memory was hiking during sunset and into the night under a full sky of stars and a full moon. Perfection.

HC JMU: What do you think being an ASB leader has taught you the most?
Katie: I think what I have learned most while being a trip leader is to step out of my comfort zone. The only way you are going to find out what you truly enjoy is to do things that you wouldn’t typically see yourself doing. This experience has opened doors to new opportunities and I’m excited to see what my next journey will be!

HC JMU: Why would you recommend other people to go on ASB trips or be an ASB trip leader?
Katie: I would highly recommend others to look into being a trip leader or a participant! Both experiences have affected me in different ways and have been truly life changing. I struggled with making the commitment to be a leader last year because I didn’t want it to interfere with my schoolwork or job, but I couldn’t be happier that I chose to lead.

Interested in going on or leading a trip?  The trip leader application is due this Friday, September 14th. The lottery sign up to go on a trip as a regular member and trip selection will take place at the end of October/beginning of November. Hope to see you all there!

Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.