Johannah Gehman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

The entire summer before a freshman’s first year of college is filled with many emotions. One day you’re smiling from ear to ear because you’re so excited, the next your stomach is filled with an overwhelming amount of butterflies.  Many of you probably spent your summer days snagging those dorm deals at Target, or stalking the Class of 2015 page on Facebook.  But for Johannah Gehman, a freshman from McLean, Virginia, her summer was busy spent at the Teen Vogue and Clinique offices in New York! This first year has wasted no time in making her mark on Madison and has already been representing our school on many different platforms.
After answering a few questions, and we quickly learned that this new Duke dog is ready to make an impact!

HCJMU: So what exactly brought you to the land of purple and gold?
 Johannah:  I came to James Madison because I wanted a stellar education at a reasonable price, but I’ve discovered more reasons why I love this school. My favorite aspect of campus is the view, especially from my dorm in Skyline. I am awestruck every time I look out at the mountains; I am so lucky to be a Duke! I also love how welcoming and friendly the student body is. I was walking off campus with a friend and didn’t know how to cross the street with cars coming from all different directions; a student paused her run to help us cross the street. JMU students really go out of their way to help others out!

HCJMU: As a college freshmen, you must be excited to get away from home. What are you most excited/nervous about coming to JMU?
Johannah: Before coming to JMU, I was nervous about everything. I had no idea who my roommate was and I didn’t feel confident about finding my way around campus. After being here for about a week, I am much more comfortable. I still don’t completely know my way around, but I made it through my first day pretty easily. I’m not worried about getting lost on campus because I know I can ask just about anyone for help. I’m very excited about starting classes and doing well, as well as meeting more people. I’m excited to be a Duke!

HCJMU: How was your FrOG week experience?
 Johannah: My FrOG week was amazing and really helped me adjust to campus. I definitely feel more connected to the other students in my dorm, Shenandoah! (Thanks Alexa and Brooke!) had a lot of fun going to events like Play Fair and the “Laugh Out Loud” comedy show. I’ve made some really good friends in my hall and enjoy meeting new people every day!

HCJMU: Tell us about the Clinique 2011 Fresh Face contest, and how you got involved… How did your life change after becoming a Clinique Fresh Face?
Johannah: The Clinique 2011 Fresh Face contest, hosted by Clinique and Teen Vogue, began with a ten-campus tour all over the country. The tour stop closest to me was at George Washington University. The tour was aimed at college students, but there were two contests: one for ages eighteen and above and another for ages eighteen and under. I volunteered to help at the George Washington University tour stop and had a blast talking to students, managing the registration iPad station, and handing out flyers.

Later that day I applied for the eighteen and under section of the contest to win a grand-prize trip to New York City to experience a week in the Teen Vogue and Clinique offices. I submitted a short essay about my dream career and goals, my GPA, and three words that I believed encapsulated a “fresh face.” I was selected out of about 1,400 high school girls to experience a week working at Clinique and Teen Vogue – my dream job!

I spent the first half of my week in the Big Apple interning at Teen Vogue. One of my many jobs was to help pull some accessories from the legendary Teen Vogue fashion closet for an eighties workout fashion shoot starring, Beauty Director, Eva Chen.  (Warning: though packed with designer clothing, unique shoes like fuzzy sneakers, and hundreds of accessories, the closet does not boast a pleasant scent!) I also walked by Editor-In-Chief Amy Astley’s pastel chic office and chatted with Eva Chen on Twitter. To end my time at Teen Vogue, I went to dinner at TAO with some of the staff. Helping out at Teen Vogue was eye-opening and inspiring.

The second half of my week was spent at Clinique, where I created a PowerPoint presentation on how to improve the Clinique Fresh Faces tour for 2012. I sat in an office with a breathtaking view of the city, met with the creative and technological minds behind Clinique, and saw the musical Wicked. I loved the office atmosphere there and could definitely see myself working for Clinique!

My one week experience increased my ambition to work in the media or cosmetics, whether I work in a marketing or journalism department. As of now I am majoring in Marketing, and I plan to declare a double major in Business and SMAD in the spring of 2012.

HCJMU: Campus Trendsetters is an official program that Her Campus is launching soon. How did you get involved? 
Johannah: I saw an advertisement for Campus Trendsetters on the Her Campus website and applied by submitting the application and adding a video about myself. I was selected to join a class of Campus Trendsetters and I look forward to sharing my opinion on Cargo’s newest mascara, Lash Activator! 

HCJMU: Some freshmen are apprehensive about joining too many organizations or getting involved at the beginning of the year, but you seem ready to dive in on campus. What organizations are you interested in and how do you want to make an impact on campus?
Johannah: I think to best way to make JMU “home” is to join organizations and meet people who enjoy doing the same things! I plan to be involved in intramural volleyball, Campus Crusade for Christ, Aletheia Campus Organization, Student Duke Club, The Breeze, YoungLife, a political party club, and I am running for Community Service representative of Shenandoah Hall. I can’t wait for Student Organization Night! I’d like to form a quartet (I play viola) and am interested in a capella. I am also considering starting an Ed2010 branch at JMU in the spring!

Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!