It’s Beginning To Feel A Lot Like Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Here in Harrisonburg, temperatures are slowly beginning to cool off, leaves are starting to change colors, and now that it’s finally October, talks of pumpkin carving and Halloween costumes are in full force. The Shenandoah Valley is home to many different fall activities, perfect for college students on the hunt for a fun-filled weekend with friends.

Here’s a list of some of my favorite things to do in the Harrisonburg area this fall:

Pumpkin Picking and Corn Maze

Back Home on the Farm is a quick drive outside Harrisonburg city limits and offers entertainment for everyone. A few activities you can enjoy at the farm include hayrides, corn mazes, pig races, a carousel and — of course — pumpkin picking. Admission is only $8 for the day, so if you’re looking to recreate some of your favorite fall childhood memories and find the perfect pumpkin to carve just in time for Halloween, look no further than the farm. 

Apple Picking

Pick your own apples at Marker-Miller Orchards Farm in Winchester, Va. Go on an adventure by purchasing containers and going out to pick your own apples — Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Ida Red, you name it. While you’re there, don’t forget to check out the farmers market bakery and apple cider donuts. Yum!

Haunted House

What better way to get in the Halloween spirit than going to a haunted house? If you so dare, gather a group of friends and head over to Fear Forest, just a quick drive from JMU.

And if you make out of the fearful forest alive, enjoy a nice cup of hot cocoa at the end!  

Winery

For those of legal age, Cross Key Winery is the perfect fall backdrop for a gathering with friends and family. An informative tour and tasting are offered daily. With panoramic views of the Blue Ridge Mountains, this is the perfect excuse to dress up, and enjoy a nice glass of wine.

Allie Smith is a senior Writing Rhetoric and Technical Communication major, Human Resource Development minor at James Madison University. She is a contributing writer and Campus Correspondent of HC at her school. Allie is from Richmond, Virginia where she loves to hang out with friends, shop, shop, shop, and go to the beach in the summer. She is interested in Social Media (big fan of Twitter- follow her @alliemsmith). In addition to writing for HerCampus, Allie loves to travel. She just got back from studying abroad in Australia where she had the time of her life. Allie also loves to cook... even though she claims she isn't very good.