I’m Finally Watching “Gossip Girl”! | Thoughts on Season 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Y’all, I’m finally watching “Gossip Girl” and while at first I hated to admit it…I’m completely obsessed. Sure the drama is a little far-fetched and it’s hard to relate to characters who don’t get all their clothes at Goodwill or go on late-night Taco Bells runs. Despite this, though, I’ve become completely absorbed with the lives of the upper East side’s most elite. For those who have watched the show, are re-watching, or watching for the first time like me, I thought it’d be fun to share my thoughts as I watch the show because let me tell you, I have a LOT of them.

Warning: there will be spoilers!!! Don’t read if you haven’t seen all of season 1!

Thoughts (in the order of which they occurred to me) 

“ohmygodBlakeLivelyissobeautifulohmygodOHMYGOD”. I first fell in love with Blake Lively when she was in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and I’ve had a girl crush ever since. Definitely one of the reasons I decided to finally binge watch this show.

Wow, Blair actually sucks. Isn’t she a main character? Aren’t I supposed to like her? Also, isn’t she supposed to be with that Chuck guy? Where’s he?

Oh wow, this Dan guy sucks. I can already tell I won’t like him.

Uhhhhh okay so Chuck’s first real scene in the show involves him attempting to rape Serena. I thought Chuck was a fan favorite? Wtf? He’s the worst.

AND NOW HE’S ATTACKING JENNY. That’s it. Anti-Chuck. Me no likey the Chuck.

I don’t care about Dan’s dad! Why is he getting his own plotline? I want to see more Serena. 

DOES ANYBODY ID IN NEW YORK? THESE KIDS ARE SIXTEEN. STOP GIVING THEM MARTINIS. 

Aren’t Blair and Serena supposedly, like, best friends? QUIT FIGHTING. 

Blair is the definition of evil why does Serena keep forgiving her????

SERENA FIND NEW FRIENDS. 

I don’t like Dan. Dan is like the Ross Geller of “Gossip Girl”. Just because he’s stalked loved Serena all this time and is a “nice guy” he thinks he’s like, entitled to her? And he’s so judgmental of everything about her life? Shut up and go read some Hemingway. 

Oh no, I don’t like Vanessa, nuh-uh.

…but wait. Do I not like her because she’s just the “ex”? (Also is she even an ex? It’s never made clear if they acutally dated). That’s so awful of me. Stop it Jenna. Girls support girls.

….but it is kind of weird that Vanessa is always magically in their loft. Did she climb in through the window? Was the door unlocked? Did she teleport? No one seems concerned?????

Crap. I ship Blair and Chuck now.

Yada yada yada, Chuck, Blair, Nate, blah blah blah. I’m over this love triangle and it’s only season 1. Please don’t let this be a series-long Edward/Bella/Jacob situation.

Blair and Nate, Serena and Dan, Rufus and Lily, blah blah blah. (this continued for quite a few episodes)

I totally know why Serena left!!!! She got pregnant with Nate’s child!!!! She gave it up for adoption!!!! HA I’M A GENUIS.

…nevermind

I know I’m supposed to hate Georgina but Michelle Trachtenberg was amazing in “Ice Princess” and therefore I will always love her.

Well this season is over and no one is with the right person and everything is wrong!!! I have to see what happens next. BRING IT ON SEASON 2.

Biggest takeaways: 

1. Underage drinking is an essential aspect of “Gossip Girl” 

2. I can’t get over the fact that Jenny Humphrey is played by Taylor Momsen who almost played Hannah Montana

3. I hate Blair and Chuck but I like them as a couple and this is conflicting and horrible

Till next time, XOXO

19-year-old intersectional feminist on a mission to spread love and encourage girls to embrace their sexuality and bodies. Also on the mission to find the most delicious cup of coffee.
Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.