alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I’ll Be There For You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

1. When you need a listening ear…

College is such an adjustment coming so far from home and being on your own for the first time in your life. You leave your family and best friends behind, which makes you feel completely isolated in a new world.  Who will you trust? Who will be your friends? Luckily, living in a suite-style dorm freshman year makes for a much easier transition in this process. You become really close with these people and your friendships begin to blossom. Being surrounded by so many unfamiliar faces can be overwhelming and loneliness may linger over your head like a rain cloud, but I’ll be there for you when you miss home or need to vent about your stressful day.

2. When you come home drunk…

We all have our nights and we all feel such remorse the next day for the previous night’s caretakers, but hey! I’ll be there for you. To stumble back with you, hold your hair, get you settled, and to make sure you’re still breathing all night, I’ll be there for you. So girl, go have a good time!

3. When you need a date…

We’ve all struggled to make new friends; putting yourself out there can be very challenging, especially if you’re from a place like where I’m from (rural, basically desolate, and we’ve all grown up with each other since we were babies.) It’s a great feeling to overcome that feeling and make connections with new people, but when all else fails and you need someone I’ll be there for you. Whether it’s lunch, the movies, a girl’s night downtown at Jack Brown’s or Billy Jacks, a shopping spree at the Valley Mall or your study buddy at the library, I’ll be there for you to walk til my feet are numb, to call an Uber, or study until my eyes bleed.

4. When you want to go out…

I’m just a knock on the door away. I’m always going to be down to go out and have a good ole time (unless I have class in the morning cuz 9am suck!!!!!!) So, when you need someone to walk down S Main with you, I’ll be there for you.

5. When you want to do nothing…

That’s cool, we’ll do nothing. Alone time can easily become nonexistent when sharing a room the size of a rich man (or woman)’s walk-in closet. Throughout this first month of college, I really haven’t had anytime to myself and I’m sure many others struggle with that as well. Except this weekend, my roommate is gone with her parents to visit family. I decided to stay in and enjoy having a room to myself and work on getting things done (such a good and relaxing idea.) So, I’ll be there for you to binge on Grey’s, watch a movie, be your study buddy (or not if you just wanna be alone.)

1. When you need a listening ear…

2. When you come home drunk…

3. When you need a date…

4. When you want to go out…

5. When you want to do nothing…

Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.