I Went to My First “Adult” Interview and Here’s How it Went

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

I’m currently in the phase of my life when it’s time to carry out the daunting task of applying for jobs. You know, like real, post-grad jobs that require you to dress up all fancy and bring a portfolio. So annoying, right? In all seriousness, though, it’s a little nerve-wracking (not to mention absolutely terrifying), and it would be an understatement to say that I don’t know what the heck I’m doing–or even what I’m qualified for. What does an English major who’s studied Shakespeare and Faulkner and standard English grammar rules for the past four years even qualify for in the real world anyways?? I guess I’m currently finding out by basically throwing s**t at the wall and seeing what sticks, which is exactly what I did when I applied for a “junior marketing assistant” position in Richmond at a company that I randomly found (among 80+ other positions that I don’t remember applying for) through Indeed.com. The interview took place last Friday at 1pm. I thought to myself when I set up the interview: Perfect! This would give me plenty of time to get up, get ready, make a hearty breakfast, and get on the road. LOL.

9 am: Feeling like absolute crap. I had woken up with a cold the day before, and this morning my sickness is definitely at its peak. I call the company only to find out that today is the last day they’re doing interviews. So, I could basically count on not getting the job if I rescheduled.

9:30 am: Decide to suck it up and go to the interview. I could probably lay in bed if I didn’t shower…. Lauren, you have to shower for a job interview.

10:30 am: After rushing like no one’s business and doing the bare minimum makeup-wise, my hair’s still wet, but I am heading out the door with a protein bar in hand and my new bought-the-night-before Target blazer and dress pants. I’ve got this.

11:30 am: Had to get gas and missed my turn, which put my ETA 11 minutes behind schedule and means I won’t arrive until 12:52. Definitely not ideal, but I’ll just have to speed.

11:31 am: Should probably slow down so I don’t get a ticket.

12:48 pm: I’ve finally arrived and end up waiting in the lobby until 1:15 while I awkwardly listen to the receptionist (dressed in a weirdly casual jean and wedges combo, complete with a messy bun) call other interviewees to confirm their interview time. It’ll be fine. I don’t even want this job, right?

1:15 pm: The hiring manager FINALLY walks into the lobby and introduces himself. He’s really cute. Crap.

1:20 pm: Five minutes into the interview and so far so good…except that I have no idea what the job is. Or what the requirements are. Or what the pay is. And what the heck are fiber optics?!? This would probably be easier if the interviewer wasn’t only five years older than me and extremely attractive.

1:22 pm: He seems impressed with my extracurriculars and sorority involvement, but he could just be faking it?

1:30 pm: I know my time spent here  will be my first and last when I hear the words: “My advice for someone in your position is to go to all the interviews you can, even the ones you’re under-qualified for.” I get it. Just kick me out now and avoid any future embarrassment on my end.

1:35 pm: I leave feeling confident that I did the best I could while knowing in the back of my mind that I most definitely did not get this job. But you know what? That’s totally okay because the cute hiring manager (probably post frat boy) was right. Apply for any and all jobs that you’re interested in, even the ones you’re most definitely not qualified for. You just might end up with your dream job, and if not, at least you have some interviewing experience under your belt and a fun story to tell. Good luck to all soon-to-be grads like myself — we’ve got this!

Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.