photoshoot challenge
photoshoot challenge
Original photo by Jojo Greenwood

I Tried The ‘Ugly Photoshoot Location Challenge’ And This Is What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Who says you need studio lighting and a killer location to get high quality photos?!

This past winter break 2019 was filled with lots of creative adventures. There was an immense amount of free time, not having to worry about school in the slightest for an entire month; it was extremely refreshing. My mind, free of stress, was able to run wild and the creative juices were simply pouring. 

An ordinary photoshoot day with friends turned into an unexpected recreation of the ‘Ugly Photoshoot Location Challenge,’ a craze you may have seen trending on YouTube.

In essence, you take photos in locations otherwise not necessarily known to be the most aesthetically pleasing, or picturesque places; Walmarts, Home Depots, gas stations and craft stores to name a few.

My best friend Amanda and I were shooting with her photographer friend, Jojo, and spontaneously ended up shooting in the nearby Target. We were absolutely SHOCKED when we got the photos back and were even more shocked once we began editing them. These were truly some of the best pictures we got all day from our six-hour shoot in various locations. They were some of the best quality and sickest looking pictures. I’m so happy we took a risk and had the best time doing it (surprisingly without getting into any trouble, although we did do some questionable things and got quite a few stares but…anything to get the shot).

Now without further ado, here are the results…

Cereal Killer
photo challenge
Original photo by Jojo Greenwood

Cheetos or Lays?
photo challenge
Original photo by Jojo Greenwood

Wheelin’ Down The Aisle

photo challenge
Original photo by Jojo Greenwood

Two For The Price Of One
photo challenge
Original photo by Jojo Greenwood
Crackin’ A Cold One

photo challenge
Original photo by Jojo Greenwood

My Lips Are Sealed
photo challenge
Original photo by Jojo Greenwood

Hugs & Kisses
photo challenge
Original photo by Jojo Greenwood

Not only was this super fun, creative and spontaneous, but it just proves that you don’t need all the fancy, expensive bells and whistles to achieve high quality looks. All you need is some outside the box thinking, the right angles, some editing and use the casual settings to your advantage! (You can see we really did. We made that store OURS). 

So, for any creatives or aspiring photographers out there, I challenge YOU to experiment for yourselves! I promise you’ll be shocked over what you can create. 

Xx,

Brianne

A Media Arts & Design student, coffee addict, lover of old music, '90s fashion and a huge passion for creating and storytelling.
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.