alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Spent the Day Like Rory Gilmore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Anyone who knows me knows I love Gilmore Girls: the fast talking, the mother-daughter bond, the many love interests (#TeamLogan), the quirky Stars Hollow, and all the coffee!! As a college student, I can’t help but envy Rory’s Yale experience, with a big dorm her freshman year, guys, and all the coffee she could want right at her disposal (someone needs to petition JMU to get coffee stands around campus). Of course, I also can’t help but wonder what it would be like to live the college-Rory life, and while I can’t suddenly start taking classes at Yale and stealing yachts with Logan Hunztberger, I figured why not try spending the day like Rory Gilmore. What’s the harm?

Unlike Rory I am a science major so I had the joy of starting my day with an 8 AM lab. I tried to dress in my most Rory-like outfit, which was a slight challenge considering my lack of mid-2000s pieces, but I ended up with a chic striped shirt and a pair of black jeans. Hopefully Rory would approve! After lab I had a small break before my next class, so I decided to get a Gilmore-worthy snack, a S’mores Pop-Tart and some coffee, while I worked on my study guide for my upcoming Biology 140 test.

Like Rory Gilmore my schedule keeps me busy, so after studying I headed off to my third class of the day. Thanks to the coffee I was able to stay awake and focused for all of it. Then I went and grabbed some dinner and, sticking to my Gilmore diet, grabbed some BBQ chicken bites and mac-and-cheese. I did some more studying before my last class of the day, finishing up an online chemistry assignment. After my last class, I went back to my apartment and celebrated the end of a long day by snacking on some candy and watching some Gilmore Girls.  

In conclusion, I definitely felt more productive channeling my inner Rory and making sure to spend all of my free time studying, but I also felt the freshman 15 haunting me with all the unhealthy food and my bank account cringing every time I buy coffee. From now on I’m definitely going to try and study like Rory every day, but leave the coffee to the Gilmore Girls.

Emily Bordelon is a biotechnology major and a member of the class of 2020 at James Madison University. She enjoys hanging out with friends and family, hiking in the Shenandoah Valley, watching Netflix, and exploring new places. 
Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.