I played all of the 2016 Election iPhone Games So That You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.
As we’re getting farther into primary season, more and more campaign games and apps are popping up. While the sheer number may intimidate you, fear not because I’ve tested the waters and tried them all so that you don’t have to. From Trump Dump to Bernie Sandwiches, I’ve played them all and included below is your go-to guide for political gaming run.

1. Bernie Sandwiches

This game is resemblant of a Bernified Temple Run. Essentially your job is to help Bernie along the trail of sandwiches as he attempts to win the Democratic nomination. Along the way you’ll encounter jumping obstacles, flying sandwiches and billboards that promote Bernie’s most mentioned points (aka Down with Wall Street, Free Tuition, Women’s Rights etc.). Addicting but difficult, this game is for anyone who is looking for a crash course in Bernie’s platform. (PS. Not recommended for anyone who has skipped lunch— it will make you very, very hungry)

2. Republican Political Run

Remember Trivia Crack? Well, this game is exactly that except you have the option of playing as Donald Trump instead of yourself. Now who doesn’t want that choice? The app has two playing modes— Full Primary and Super Tuesday— and you can either play against a random opponent or against your Facebook friends. Essentially, there are five categories (US History, Candidates, Foreign Policy, Geography and State Trivia) and you spin a wheel to see which one you have to answer a question from.The number of delegates offered from each state determines the number of questions you are required to answer until you move on to the next state. Power-ups are fondly called “Super Pacs” and you can use them to gain an advantage. If you’re interested in learning more about the Republican candidates or just want to wield your knowledge, you will not being saying “YOU’RE FIRED” to this app.

3. Democratic Political Run

Much like its Republican counterpart, the Democratic Political Run app allows you the option to select either Bernie or Hillary in case Donald isn’t really your flavor of the week (or year). It has the same question categories, power-ups and game modes so grab your phone and prepare yourself for a virtual knowledge-based race to the White House.

4. Election

Another Temple Run-esque game, Election offers very caricatured versions of Don, Hillary, The Bern and Lyin’ Ted. However, this game is incredibly less enjoyable to play. Not only does it require you to make a purchase should you want to play as anyone but Donald Trump, it also forces you to watch ads every five seconds and force-quits more often than not. If you’re looking for a fun election game to play, this one is certainly not recommended.

5. Trump Dump

This game is kind of like Flappy Bird but with a twist. Instead of a straight run-through until you die, this game has levels. You play as the bald eagle, America’s symbolic bird (and according to this video, Trump’s least likely supporter), and attempt to make it through The Infamous Wall. At the end of each level— should you be successful— your bald eagle avatar takes a poop right on Trump’s head (hence the game’s name, Trump Dump). If Don’s made your weekly s*** list and you’re looking for a way to take out your frustration, this game is the one for you.

6. Avoid Hillary

Of all the games I’ve played for this week, this has to be one of the most absurd games yet. The entire object of the game is to “tap and hold and avoid everything.” You play as a very small version of Bill Clinton’s face and you move about the screen to try and avoid the variably-sized falling Hillary heads. Whether this game was created to resemble Bill’s (not so) secretive behaviour during his affair or just to suggest that Bill is clearly living in fear of his all-powerful wife, it’s a nice mindless way to give yourself a good laugh.

7. Floppy Candidate

This app was created by The Washington Post and is essentially the 2016 Election version of the popular game, Flappy Bird. You get to pick and play as your favorite (or least favorite if you’re looking to run them into a wall every round) candidate’s flying head. Options range from Hillary Clinton all the way down to good ol’ Mike Huckabee and everywhere in between. Odds are, if your candidate voiced an interest in running for president, this game lists them as an option. Not to mention, you can unlock the OG Founding Fathers G. Wash and Benny Franklin along with President Obama and his trusty sidekick, Joe Biden. If you’re looking for a highly rigorous and addictive way to kill time, Floppy Candidate is for you.

Writer of words and animal sweater enthusiast.Twitter- @SydneyEsThierInstagram- @sydney_esther
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.