nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Kept a Bullet Journal in 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

I started out 2019 feeling creative, inspired, and motivated. I wanted to take on a new challenge this year, and I wanted it to be something that would leave me with a physical product to show for once 2020 rolled around. After some serious Pinterest-ing, I decided to start my first bullet journal. It seemed like the perfect way for me to consistently be creative throughout the year, be more intentional in my self-reflection, and more purposeful in my organization. 

If you haven’t ventured to the art side of YouTube, you probably haven’t seen the craze that is bullet journaling. Creatives everywhere have taken it upon themselves to turn a blank Moleskine notebook into a personalized agenda, complete with tons of unique spread ideas. It definitely seems like a huge undertaking, and it certainly can be. I knew when I started that I was going to follow through with this, even if I never did it again. 2019 is coming to a close, and I’m proud to say that I accomplished my goal. That being said, I definitely learned a lot from the process, and what my BuJo looks like now is quite different from the way I started back in January. 

I kept a bullet journal for all of 2019. Here’s what I learned.

The Supplies

I decided to keep my arsenal of supplies pretty simple: white gel pens, a few different weights of Micron pens, Crayola super-tip markers, and a $9.00 bullet journal from Amazon. These supplies served me well, and didn’t break the bank.

The Spreads

When I first started out, I was definitely including way too many spreads each month. I was creating almost 15 pages of content, and most of it ended up going unused at the end of the month. I found that full page calendars, habit-trackers, and gym trackers were a huge waste of my time, because I just didn’t keep up with them. Once I stuck with a basic intro page that included goals for the month, weekly spreads, and a reflection at the end of each month, I found my life was a lot easier. I was also much more consistent with using the journal. My advice: keep it simple. Don’t waste your time with spreads you’re not using. Set realistic goals that you know you will have the time to meet each month.

The Extras

I had a really fun time coming up with creative extra spreads to include at the beginning of my journal. I included a running list of all the books I read, my 2019 resolutions, and a quote to set the tone for my year. This was a fun way to add a more personal touch to my journal, and it was super easy to keep up with. I would definitely recommend adding a few spreads of lists to your journal. It’s really satisfying to read through them at the end of the year, and they’re incredibly low maintenance.

Overall, I really enjoyed bullet journaling. It allowed me to have a planner that was 100% custom, which meant that the layout would be exactly the way I wanted it. It was a great way to keep me accountable as well. I used to tend to stop utilising planners mid-year. Because I had to physically make this one myself each month, it was a little more high pressure to stay organized. I also felt like designing my own spreads was a much-needed creative outlet. I’m always looking for new ways to test my creativity and challenge myself, and bullet journaling definitely did that. 

So would I recommend it? Absolutely. If you’re looking for something new to try out in 2020, and want to integrate more creativity into your academic or professional life, bullet journaling is the way to go.

Madison is a Senior Media Arts & Design major at James Madison University. Favorites include: iced lattes, Glossier, over-analyzing horoscopes, reading, and fashion.
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.