Life > Experiences

How to be a Good Third-Wheel for Valentine’s Day

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

I’m single, but my roommate is not so it can get pretty annoying being the third wheel. She suggested we combine date night and girl’s night! So, if you are invited to Valentine’s Day plans like I am, here is my advice on how to be the best third wheel.

Remember That this is your friend

They invited you for a reason! Whether it’s because they pity you for not having a date or they enjoy your company, just make sure to have as much fun as you can instead of sulking about how lonely you feel.

Get to know their partner

If you are not already friends with their partner, take this as a chance to get to know them. By asking questions, you can make sure that they are good enough for your friend, and it engages a conversation between the three of you.

They might try to set you up

I’ve been single for two years, and my roommate has tried to set me up with someone almost every day so don’t be surprised when their partner joins in too. Although it can be uncomfortable talking about how single you truly are, you can turn it into a game! A good kiss, marry, kill is always entertaining.

You can always leave

Uber is a thing so if the PDA gets to be too much, protect your peace girl. Say your goodbyes and head in for the night with a tub of ice cream, a cup of tea, and a good book.

Enjoy your Valentine’s Day however you like, even if it does include third wheeling!

Hey! I'm Skylar Goehring and I'm a sophomore at James Madison University. My major is Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communications with a minor in Creative Writing. I enjoy reading, writing, and scrapbooking in my free time.