jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Stay Productive This Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Winter break is almost here, I can already hear the sigh of relief after taking my last final. More than a month to sleep in, enjoy family, and ring in the new year. Not only do we get to relax, but we also have time to catch up on things we’ve neglected while preparing for finals. It’s time to catch up so we can all start second semester refreshed and organized. Who’s ready to get their life together? 

1. Self care

You know what that means, sleeping. These past few weeks have basically destroyed all thoughts of a normal sleep schedule. It’s time to get back on track, eat healthy, and drink plenty of water. Let’s clean our rooms, put a face mask on, and do the things you love. Be sure to exercise again, hang out with friends, and catch up on Netflix. This is your time to take care of your mind and body.

2. Apply for internships

I know summer seems so far away, but don’t let that fool you. By the time spring semester is in full swing the stress will build up as you try to juggle applications and school work. Apply at realistic companies, but also add a little fun. I’ve applied at Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and emailed Rae Dunn. There’s not the best chance of me getting any of those, but it definitely made applying a little more fun. Plus, there’s always a chance that you may land a job you had only dreamed of. This is also a good time to revamp that resume and cover letter highlighting what you achieved this fall semester. 

3. Set goals

New year, new semester, and new goals. 2019 may have been the best year of your life or the worst. Either way it’s time to get your life in order and make sure you start the new year strong. 2020 is the beginning of a new decade, so if you want to make goals for the next ten years then go for it. Whether you make goals for the next month, semester, or year be sure to also make a plan to stick by to help you reach those goals. You got this. 

4. Take advantage of being home

Spend time with your family. They all miss you, even if your siblings won’t admit it. Hang out with your friends. You haven’t seen your high school best friend all semester so now is the time to catch up and tell everything that happened last semester because everyone knows how crazy a semester can be. Enjoy those home cooked meals that aren’t ramen. Have your mom do your laundry. Visit your favorite stores (I always make a stop at my favorite thrift stores when I go home.) Also, don’t forget to update those college photos in your room because those are *so* last semester. 

5. Work

If you have a job at home pick up a couple shifts. If you don’t have one try to find someone who needs their dog walked or kids to babysit. College is expensive and don’t forget about all of those new textbooks you have to buy this semester. The best part- try to save up for spring break. The beach is calling your name, but it’s hard to go if you’re broke. Working will keep you out of your bed and still keep your brain somewhat functioning so you don’t completely forget everything you learned last semester. 

Winter break seems to take so long, but before you know it you’ll be back in the dorms or your apartment. Take time to rest and get ready to absolutely crush this semester. Start looking at new clubs to join and look at when your club fair will take place. The best part of college is that each semester is a new start. Take advantage of this long break because you have to wait until next summer to have a long period of time back home. Enjoy every minute!

Kate is majoring in writing, rhetoric, and technical communication and minoring in entrepreneurship. You can usually find her at Starbucks and listening to true crime podcasts.
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.