How to Stay Informed This Election Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

As we gear up for the November presidential election, presidential candidates are working fast on the campaign trail. Unfortunately, being a college student can make it hard to find time to watch the news or read a newspaper regularly. Instead, here are some alternative ways to stay up-to-date this election season.

1. New York Times Student Subscription—Price: $5 for 12 weeks or $1/week

This subscription is discounted for students, so while you’re in college it is a must-have. Take advantage of your student status and get the notifications of daily news and breaking news straight to your phone, as well as a daily summary of the news.

2. Join College Republicans or College Democrats at JMU—Price: Free

These clubs usually meet weekly and bring in awesome speakers, go on field trips, keep you up-to-date on the election and help you develop your own views on politics.

3. The Skimm—Price: Free

Like the New York Times subscription, this similar website sends daily newsletters with everything you need to know, including election-related content. Since it’s free, there is no harm and no fowl with signing up. Enjoy news over your morning coffee or even between classes!

4. Use Social Media—Price: Free

Use resources you already have like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to follow credible news accounts in order to always get recent updates on the political elections, as well as both local and national news. You’ll be more in tune with what’s going on. Even if you only happen to see the headlines, you will be more likely to go back and inform yourself when you get the chance.

5. Talk to people and ask questions—Price: Free (unless your friends happen to charge you to speak)

The surefire way to find out what is going on when you don’t have time to follow the news is to ask someone! Is your conversation a little dull at lunch? Bring up politics in a non-confrontational way and ask your friend about what he or she has heard in the news. You might find out something you didn’t know and you can always research more later. This method is highly encouraged. You can even suggest you and your friends go vote together come November!

Use these easy alternatives instead of sitting in front of the TV for the morning news or having to read through a newspaper on your busy days in order to stay in-the-know this election season. You’ll be well on your way to the voting booth. See you in November!

To learn more about voting in this year’s election, go to: https://www.usa.gov

Hey everyone! I'm Megan, a senior at James Madison University pursuing a double major in the School of Media Arts and Design (with a concentration in journalism) and political science, and a minor in political communication. I am an avid Netflix viewer, obsessed with breakfast foods, and a yogi-- queue the headstand. I love to read news and stay up to date with all things pop culture...and I also love to write, go figure! Due to extreme wanderlust, I am always on the move, and I look forward to traveling the world and whatever comes with it. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you have. Enjoy! 
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.