free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Applying for jobs can be daunting, especially because everyone seems to think there are no available jobs. But really, the truth of the matter is that there is always something out there. You just have to be willing to look! It really is simple, and there are a few things you will want to keep in mind when going through the application process.

First Step: The Application

If you can find the information online, fill out the application before you go to inquire in person. Make sure that you have completed all sections, and if at all possible TYPE it out. It can’t hurt to make yourself look more presentable, even if its just on paper. Always always always attach a resume. It may not be required, but it presents you with a higher level of competency. If you take that seriously, employers will too. Lastly, make sure you are flexible with your availability; this is paramount when a company makes a hiring decision.

Step Two: The Interview

Be confident, be calm, and be YOU. Confidence comes in many different forms, especially for different people. In this case, use body language. The interviewer will be looking for softened facial expressions, arms not crossed or hands on hips. Take a breath before every answer, collect your thoughts, and let your personality show. The biggest thing to remember is to just be you. If you are genuine, then the company will see that and it will get you to where you need to be.

The Final Step: Accepting, Declining, or Being Rejected

If it’s meant to be and you’re offered a position, JUMP FOR JOY! But in all seriousness, be proud of yourself for getting that job offer. It means you have something essential to be brought to the company. If you decide to accept the job, do so promptly. At this point, it is a good thing to let the company know you are excited to be a part of the team and you are ready to begin. However, there are times where you may not want to accept an offered position. It could be that you were already hired at another company or you simply decided that it wasn’t going to be a solid fit for you. Regardless of the reason, declining a job offer can make or break your future relations with the company. Be polite and explain that you appreciate the opportunity, however your circumstances have changed and you will not be able to accept at this time. Don’t worry about further explanation; it’s best to keep disclosure to a minimum. Now, the hardest part of this step is being rejected. If a company calls (or you call and are told) to tell you that you are not being offered a position, graciously thank them for the time they have given to you as an applicant and MOVE FORWARD TO OTHER OPPORTUNITIES. Do not dwell on the “what ifs” of the situation because that will bring you down and could cause you to be less likely to perform well at the next interview you receive.

Things to Remember:

Finally, there are a few “DO’s and DON’T’s.” that are important to remember. First, DON’T show up with a friend. Even if you’re just nervous or have plans to do something afterwards- DON’T. It makes you look unprofessional, juvenile, and you won’t be taken seriously whatsoever. Secondly, DO contact the company again after your interaction either via email, phone, or in person. If you haven’t heard back within a week, don’t be afraid to ask them. They will likely be impressed that you followed up and did not simply leave it up to fate. Also, DO dress appropriately. If you show up in shorts and a tank top with your hair a mess, well I can tell you right now you won’t be hired. Wear something that speaks to your personality so that you’ll be comfortable, but also conservative. DON’T chew gum. It’s disgusting and extremely distracting. DO be prepared. You never know if they’re going to ask for an on the spot interview, for your availability on a specific date, or if you know how to do something specific within the company. Lastly, DON’T be afraid to let there be silence. You don’t need to fill the gaps with useless jibber jabber. It’s unnecessary and it will make you look too nervous and give the company the impression that you can’t handle pressure well.

Applying for a job isn’t necessarily a long process, and it shouldn’t be complicated. Find something that you love to do, figure out what you need to do to get there, and go!

Have you ever thought "Am I the only one who..."? I'm sure you have, and I promise you're not. Live the life you love. I don't take things too seriously, because life is too short to be so obsessed with what everyone thinks of me. I became a writer so I could say what everyone else is thinking. I believe that treating others the way you want to be treated means you will never have to regret a decision you make. I make mistakes, but that's what makes great articles!