Life > Experiences

How Guys Really Feel About Girls’ Clothing Styles

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It’s Friday night and you’re trying to figure out what to wear out… Will that cute guy in the polo like your maxi dress? What about the backless one? The sheer top? Or the peplum top?

The truth is, most guys don’t even know what a peplum top is. But they do know that it, “gives skinny, athletic girls great curve.” (John, JMU) But maybe your guy isn’t a fan of “weird skirt shirts,” (Arthur, JMU). Then you might want to try sheer top. “As long as it’s not too see-through,” says Devon (JMU), “it can be a classy choice. It’s not giving away too much, so there’s still some seductive mystery.” To keep it classy, make sure you wear a bandeau bra or a cami underneath.

So what do guys think is the least classy clothing? The answer was…short-shorts. “Please, just cover up!” begged John. “I mean, when a girl wears those,” says Arthur, “I make sure to walk behind her. But it sure isn’t classy looking!”

What about dresses? Overall, maxis get a pretty neutral response. “They’re regal looking and breezy,” says Alex (JMU), “but I dunno… they don’t really make anything pop.” Semi-backless seems to be more of a tease. “If you were trying to land a certain guy, the backless is definitely the way to go,” says Devon.

The one thing guys can’t seem to stand? High-waisted shorts. “They look like cut-off mom jeans,” says Robert (JMU). Other responses included, “Those look goofy,” (Alex) and “Why? Just why?” (Ray, JMU).

But ladies, let’s be honest. If a guy’s really into you, he’s not going to care if you decided to put on a maxi dress or high-waisted shorts this morning. You might get hit on faster in a backless, but in the end you should wear whatever you feel the most confident in. “You already have an advantage just because you’re a girl!” remarked Devon. Stop nit-picking yourself, wear what you like, and wear it with confidence.

Contributor account for Her Campus at JMU.