Lindsay Thompson-Neon Sign Where You Need To Be Miami Bar Inspiration
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus
Wellness

How To Get Motivated and Inspired Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It’s easy to find yourself in a rut…feeling unmotivated, uninspired, even a bit lost. We’ve all been there (I know I have).

But sometimes you have to be your own best friend. You have to pull yourself out of whatever you’re feeling because when it comes to your mental state, no one else can do that for you. YOU are in control. I know it can be difficult, we all have those days where we just want to curl up in some comfy clothes, with a nice hot drink (or iced of you’re like me), watch some Netflix, and forget all our problems.

It’s good to give yourself those days once in a while, but for those moments when you need to get stuff done and start feeling like yourself, here are some tips to help you get excited about life again….

a pink neon "and breathe" sign over a plant wall
Max van den Oetelaar | Unsplash

Find something you LOVE to do, that also makes you feel productive.

Find a creative outlet of some kind that makes you feel productive, but at the same time excites you, relaxes you and genuinely makes you happy. You won’t view it as “work” or a burden. This could be painting, drawing, writing, photography, videography, etc. While these activities aren’t writing a paper for school or working on a project, they demand creative thought and are something to work towards and create, and therefore, will make you feel productive! Find an interest that gets your creative juices flowing and demands your focus, leaving you feeling accomplished and happy. Productivity=Happiness ☺

Hygge Header
Stella Rose on Unsplash

Find a place to work that inspires you to be productive.

I’m a gal that believes environment and atmosphere have a big effect on my mood and how much I get done. It’s all about the vibes ;) Find the places you get the most done that actually motivate you to work. For me it’s coffee shops, for you it could be the library, your bed, under your favorite tree on the Quad…whatever it is, claim it and make it yours! I’m known among my friends as the “coffee shop girl” (and I’m totally okay with that!).

girl on computer and facetime
Time Gouw on Unsplash

Find a physical activity you actually enjoy.

Barre class has become my new favorite thing. I go religiously every Wednesday at JMU’s rec center. Classes are free for students so of course I’m going to take advantage of that! It forces me to detach for an hour and focus all my attention on the exercises I’m doing. Most importantly I actually look forward to class every Wednesday, and my week feels incomplete without it. I encourage everyone to try different classes out until you find “your thing.” Whether that be yoga, boxing, Pilates etc. release those endorphins and you are guaranteed to feel happy afterwards. It’s “the dopest dope!” (as my brother likes to say).

Unsplash / Bruce Mars

Always have something to look forward to.

This doesn’t have to be extravagant. It can be something as simple as a pamper weekend, a coffee date with a friend (can you tell I like coffee…), or even looking forward to a holiday coming up! I do this all the time. Giving yourself those events to look forward to can really help you through a rough time, knowing there is light and good times ahead.

a photo of an open planner
Free-Photos | Pixabay

Practice some self-care (Relax and Recharge).

Self-care can easily get overlooked when we are busy, stressed and overwhelmed with all we need to get done. I’m a big proponent of the belief that you can’t do your best work under those conditions. Sometimes you need to step back, take a break and recharge so you can approach your tasks with a clear and happy mind. This tip can especially help you get out of a funk and get you feeling good about yourself again. So, grab that face mask, nail polish, scented candle (or room spray, cause dorm life ☺), Netflix and make yourself feel renewed again!

Photo by Madison Inouye from Pexels

A Media Arts & Design student, coffee addict, lover of old music, '90s fashion and a huge passion for creating and storytelling.