This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It’s finally summer! Some colleges are stilling wrapping up with finals but for JMU students, it’s officially summertime. Now, while that’s super exciting with a four month break from classes, time for vacation, soaking up the sun and just relaxing…if you’re anything like me, you’re already missing your life back at school. I guess that’s a good thing though; it means I picked the right school and have made a life for myself there that was hard to leave. However, the thing I’m missing hardcore right now is my friends. The majority of my friends are sprawled out across Virginia, and I’m the outlier up here in New York. These next four months can feel super long without them, so here are some things to help get y’all through that college friend withdrawal that’s already kicked in (at least for me it has)…

Text often to keep connected  

Luckily, we live in a time where technology makes long distance very manageable. Keeping in touch on the regular through text is an easy way to kick those withdrawal feelings and feel as though you’re still close (even if your hundreds of miles away). Texting is a simple way to get that quick fix when you think of/see something that reminds you of them or if you’re just simply missing them.

close up on woman holding smart phone in hands
Kaboompics .com via Pexels

Look back at photos/videos when the withdrawal hits hard

I’ve already done this (and it’s only been a week). I have an album on my phone of all the memories from second semester and looking back always brings a smile across my face. I can’t help but laugh and fill with happiness when I look back on everything. It definitely helps to reminisce when you’re feeling a lil extra sad, and to remember your just a few months from being together and making those crazy memories again.

polaroid pictures of friends
Original photo by Emily Nelissen

Group facetimes are a thing now

Another technology we are blessed with, facetime! Being face-to-face with your friends is really all you can ask for when long distance. It’s like you’re in the same room again! I’ve yet to try out group facetime but my friends and I fully plan on having dinner together over facetime since we can’t walk to the dining hall together for a while. It’s the next best thing to being together in-person.

Coronavirus
Unsplash

Plan visits to give you something to look forward to

If possible, I highly recommend scheduling some visits over the summer! It’ll give y’all something to look forward to and make the four months seem not so long. Breaking it up with visits will make it much more bearable. It’s super exciting to plan trips whether it be concerts, music festivals or hometown visits; they’re new memories to make outside of the college life and in the real world.

Hopefully some of these tips can help! I know the summer may not always be the most fun when your separated from your favorite people but keep in touch, plan some visits and you’ll be reunited before ya know it!

A Media Arts & Design student, coffee addict, lover of old music, '90s fashion and a huge passion for creating and storytelling.