Holiday Shopping: Tips, Tricks, and Advice from a Sales Associate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

The holiday season is by far one of the most hectic shopping seasons of the year. Shoppers flock the malls with the same goal – getting the best presents for the best price. Here are some tricks of the trade that can make your shopping experience more enjoyable without breaking the bank.

Timing Is Everything – Many consumers believe the best deals come on Black Friday when stores will advertise their “rock bottom” prices. Don’t let the overboard publicity fool you. For many stores, merchandise will be discounted to draw in customers. However, their stocks are often limited and their coupons are usually excluded. For the real bargains, head to the stores after Christmas through the end of January. During this time, stores will not only want to get rid of their holiday merchandise, but they’ll need to get rid of it in order to make room for their spring merchandise. Take advantage of their urgency and score the end-of-season deals.

Use Your Coupons with Discretion – While coupons can be your saving grace, they can also be your worst enemy. It’s important to always, and I stress here ALWAYS, read the expiration dates and exclusions to your coupons. Inform yourself before you head out to the stores in order to avoid unfortunate surprises and potential conflicts at the register. While working during the holidays, I have had plenty of firsthand experiences dealing with dozens of complaints about coupons. But unfortunately, sales associates have no control over corporate policies. We do not want to risk getting in trouble with our employers just to satisfy an unruly customer. Being a prepared shopper will not only make your holiday shopping trip quick and easy, but it will also help avoid disappointment at the register.

Comparison Shopping, Do Your Research – If one department/big box store carries a brand, there’s a good chance another store will carry the same product. In order to get the best deals during the holidays, it’s always important to “comparison shop.” Many stores even offer price-matching if customers find the same product somewhere else for a lower price. However, to get the price matched, be sure to bring that week’s sales circular to the store. This will save you, and other shoppers, a significant amount of time.

Head to the Clearance Rack – If you don’t make a beeline to the clearance racks first, you should start right now. While many items may be out of season, there is always the chance at scoring an amazing deal on something that you will fall in love with. Many stores even offer extra percentages off of the lowest marked price. However, shoppers need to pay attention to stores’ policies. Many stores exclude coupons and may make your sale final.  

So, what’s the most important thing to remember while shopping this holiday season? Just pay attention! Watch the sales, watch the deals, and watch the coupons. Keep your eye on the prize, and shop on.

I am a junior at JMU studying Media Arts & Design- Corporate Communication. I am a member of Phi Mu Fraternity in addition to Her Campus! I was born in Troy, OH and grew up in both Kings Mountain, NC and Richmond, VA. I am the oldest child, the only blonde in my immediate family, and the only one who has 20/20 vision.