HCJMU Fashion Show 2013 Recap: Confessions of an HC Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

When Jen Parravani, HC JMU’s Director of PR and fashion show co-coordinator, asked me to model in the annual Her Campus and Rent the Runway fashion show, I agreed, half thinking I wouldn’t actually go through with it. However, when thinking about backing out, Jen insisted I “just had to” with persistence that was too hard to say no to. In my negative thinking, I was convinced I would fall flat on my face in front of hundreds of people and never be able to live down the embarrassment. 

Two days before the fashion show, Jen and I took a trip to downtown Harrisonburg to Mint, one the fashion show’s sponsors, in search of a dress I could wear. Walking into the store was like dying and going to retail heaven; everywhere I looked were racks of blazers, sweaters, and dresses that I was fantasizing to own. After browsing the store, I found the perfect mint colored dress with a darling bow in the back (wearing a mint dress from Mint, how perfect!). With one of my looks selected, I was gaining excitement for the big day.

November 18th, the day of the fashion show, arrived and the entire day I felt a mixture of nerves and eagerness. The models were to arrive at TDU, the location of the show, at 5:30 for hair and make-up. When walking into the venue, my vision was directed to the long table placed in the entry way holding all of the raffle prizes donated by our sponsors. Victoria Secret shirts, Bluetique gift cards, and much more all made me enviously stare, hoping to win one of the amazing prizes. My fantasy was interrupted when I was quickly ushered back into the changing room. Curling irons and straighteners were being passed back and forth as my fellow models were being prepared for the show. After my hair was perfectly straightened and the finishing touches were applied to my make-up, I was finally catwalk ready! I slipped off my everyday uniform of yoga pants and an oversized sweater for my first look, the gorgeous Mint dress. 

As just minutes remained until the show started, we lined up backstage in the order we were walking. As fate may have it, I was first. Looking into the growing crowd, I stomach began doing somersaults as I nervously ran my fingers through my hair. At precisely seven o’clock, Jen and Kelly Ford, the campus correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of HC JMU, gracefully stepped onto the stage, both looking flawless in Rent the Runway dresses. After a quick introduction, they started the show; the DJ began playing an upbeat dance song. I took one deep breath and exited the backstage area into the middle of TDU. The dress swung side to side as I bounced from excitement around the crowd. All my nerves faded away as I stuck my signature pose (on hand on my hip of course) in the middle of the stage. As I exited the stage, I heard my roommate’s voice cheering “Yeah Nicole!” and a smile took permanent residence upon my face. 

As the rest of the models strutted their stuff, I was changing into my second look, a romper made entirely out of black sequins from Rent the Runway. To say I have never felt more like J.Lo would be an understatement! For intermission, all of the models gathered outside of the changing area to watch (and swoon) as two of JMU’s talented a cappela groups performed. Their amazing self-made melodies captured the audience and had everyone singing and clapping along. 

As intermission came to a close, we once again lined up backstage. This time no nerves were present, just pure enthusiasm. We were even trying to channel our inner Beyoncé by practicing different poses and sassier walks. The music began and the models in front of me sashayed onto the stage. When it was my turn, I confidently hit the runway, my sequins shaking as I walked into the crowd. When reaching the middle of the stage, I channeled Tyra Banks and hit a “fierce” pose. After all the models walked, we went on stage together to take a final bow. With the audience cheering, I totally forgot any apprehension I felt to walk in the show. Between wearing stunning outfits to watching my friends and peers walk the catwalk, the Her Campus and Rent the Runway Fashion Show was such an amazing experience! I am counting down the days until I can put on my heels and do it all over again. 

Photo credit: Jake Williams & Oldowan Media and Morgan Deskins for Her Campus JMU