HC JMU Abroad: Where Has All the Time Gone?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Four weeks of classes down and Easter Break is right around the corner. Time sure is flying by, just like everyone said. I remember my first week of classes and the jitters that come along with unfamiliar faces and navigating around campus. Here at La Trobe, lectures are one-day a week, generally anywhere from one to three hours. Most classes have an additional tutorial one-day a week, which is simply a scaled down version of lecture and provides a more intimate setting for discussion based on material from lecture.

As far as classes here are compared to back at JMU, I’ve noticed very little differences. I would say that more emphasis is placed on the student to attend lectures because they are not compulsory, whereas at JMU, I find that the majority of my classes have attendance policies.

The teaching style is very relaxed and in almost all of my classes we get a 5-10 minute break for coffee/bathroom/etc. In fact, one of my professors came to lecture with no shoes, short athletic shorts, and tank top… Most all of our assignments are given out the first week of school and it is our job, as the student, to have them turned in on time and that’s it.

This past weekend I took a much-needed break from school and headed to Phillip Island for a surfing trip. Australians are known for their laidback lifestyle, and this trip proved no different. I went with the surfing club and about 15 other students. Most all of the instructors are in their mid-20’s, and for most of the time spent on the island, it felt like one giant unorganized ball of fun. There was no itinerary, late night bbq’s and beers (the drinking age is 18), and surf lessons that took up most of our time in the mornings…or once everyone got up. The weather was beautiful and it was my first time surfing. Although I admit I’m not very good, the experience in itself was one that will never forget.

When we returned Sunday night, I could not be more excited to sleep in my own bed. However, I knew that waking up in the morning meant the school week had begun, and I was not prepared to accept the countless assignments I had due between now and the next couple of weeks.  

Allie Smith is a senior Writing Rhetoric and Technical Communication major, Human Resource Development minor at James Madison University. She is a contributing writer and Campus Correspondent of HC at her school. Allie is from Richmond, Virginia where she loves to hang out with friends, shop, shop, shop, and go to the beach in the summer. She is interested in Social Media (big fan of Twitter- follow her @alliemsmith). In addition to writing for HerCampus, Allie loves to travel. She just got back from studying abroad in Australia where she had the time of her life. Allie also loves to cook... even though she claims she isn't very good.
Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.