A Guide to Halloweekend for Non-Partiers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Yesterday, I overheard two classmates discussing the fact that an estimated 10,000 non-JMU students come to Harrisonburg for the weekend of Halloween. Whether or not this is actually true, it’s no secret that Halloween at JMU, and probably for most colleges around the US, is a really big deal. As a freshman last year, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect for my first Halloweekend in Harrisonburg. It didn’t take too long however to realize that for people who don’t party, Halloweekend may not really be your scene. For my fellow Dukes who aren’t all about going out, this is your guide to surviving Halloweekend without going bored out of your mind.

Thursday, October 27th

1. Nightmare at UREC

Looking for something to do on campus? UREC has you covered! Tonight from 9 p.m. -1 a.m., your JACard gets you in free for a night of attractions such as a Haunted House, Escape Room, Costume Contest, and more!               

2. Open Jam Night at Dave’s Taverna

If you’re looking for something fun to do that isn’t necessarily Halloween-related, head to Dave’s Taverna for Open Jam Night from 7 p.m. – 10 p.m.

3. Throwback Thursday at the Artful Dodger

Want to dance downtown? Artful Dodger has you covered. With your college ID card, you get free admission to Throwback Thursdays with a live DJ from 9 p.m. – 12 a.m.

Friday, October 28th

1. Salsa Night at the Artful Dodger

In the mood for some salsa-dancing? For just $5 you can take lessons at the Artful Dodger every Friday night at 9 p.m.!

Saturday, October 29th

1. Harrisonburg Farmer’s Market

If you’re up bright and early Saturday morning looking for a fun place to go, check out the Harrisonburg Farmer’s Market! Support local vendors at the Turner Pavilion and browse a variety of baked goods, fruits, vegetables, flowers and handcrafted artwork from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.!

2. Bend & Brew

Into yoga? Over 21? You may have just found your new favorite Saturday outing. From 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., head on over to Three Notch’d Brewing Co. $10 gives you an hour-long yoga class followed by a pint of craft beer.

3. Brew Tour at Brothers Craft Brewing

If you’ve ever been interested in touring a local brewery, you’re in luck! This Saturday Brothers Craft Brewing if offering a FREE tour of their production area from 12:15 p.m. – 2 p.m.!

4. Costume Fun Bike & Run

If you’ve got that costume bought but nowhere to break it out, you might want to consider getting active this Saturday! At 4 p.m., you can meet at Wolfe Street Brewing for a casual bike ride/run through Harrisonburg! You’ll meet back at the brewery between 5-5:15 p.m. for free food and drinks. Prizes awarded to most creative costumes!

5. Rocky Horror Picture Show at Court Square

If you’re looking to watch a classic movie this Halloweekend, head over to Court Square for Rocky Horror Picture Show with a Shadow Cast at 9 p.m.! Tickets can be purchased at: http://www.valleyarts.org/performances/therockyhorrorpictureshow

Live Music All Weekend Long

1. Clementine Café

Check Clementine’s calendar of events to see what live music will be held Halloweekend! http://clementinecafe.com/event_calendar.html

2. Golden Pony

Check the Golden Pony’s calendar of events to see what live music will be held Halloweekend! http://www.goldenponyva.com/events/

P.S. There is no shame in going home for Halloweekend. My parents buy me a giant bag of Starbursts every Halloween, so why wouldn’t I go home? #Winning

19-year-old intersectional feminist on a mission to spread love and encourage girls to embrace their sexuality and bodies. Also on the mission to find the most delicious cup of coffee.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.