This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It’s almost Christmas time which means you get to see ALL of your family members and share all of the gifts you’ve bought. Buying gifts for people can be extremely hard. They all either have everything, claim they don’t want anything, or you just simply have no clue on what they would actually want. It is very stressful and sometimes they end up not even using or wanting the gift you bought. How sad is that? So instead of causing major stress or wasting time at every store to find the perfect gift- you can give! Here is your go-to guide for ways you can give back this season. You can make a donation in someone’s name or pick an idea that someone is passionate about. Write down what you did in their honor on a Christmas card and boom you have helped others and gave the perfect gift. 

Go to Walmart and pay off someone’s layaway

A lot of people struggle during the holiday season. Money can be tight and not everyone is able to provide their family with what they want. Not only will you help them financially, but you’ll also be making them so very happy. 

Pay off lunch debt 

This can be very helpful for kids who can’t always afford lunch. When I was in elementary school and a kid didn’t have enough lunch money for a hot meal they instead would give them a bologna sandwich. Not only is that not as healthy, but other kids would be able to tell that they didn’t have money and that was sometimes the kids only meal. You could be helping many kids and filling their tummies so they can better focus in class!

Donate to a women’s shelter

Often times women go to these shelters after leaving abusive relationships and arrive with just the clothes they have on. They’re left without menstrual products, hygiene products, and simple things to boost their confidence like make up. It’s the little things that can make a woman feel so happy and secure. Not only are you providing items to improve their confidence, but you’re also helping them start a new life. 

Volunteer at a family homeless shelter

It can be hard when parents can’t provide everything their children may need. Family shelters fill in the areas to help a child learn and grow. You can volunteer to read to young kids, donate books for older kids, and even donate school supplies or clothes. Every kid deserves to learn and you can help contribute to that.

Make hats to donate to a local cancer clinic

Chemotherapy and radiation can often lead to hair loss. To some this can lead to a lack of confidence simply because they feel as if cancer has taken away some part of their identity. There are so many ways to make hats and if you aren’t the crafty type then buying them from stores will work too. There are also organizations you can donate to so they can provide hats as well.

Make blankets

This one can help so many different people. You can make blankets (or buy) and provide to many people who may be struggling.  Doctor offices (pediatricians) can donate them to mothers caring for infants or toddlers so their kids can stay warm this winter. You can keep them in your trunk and pass out to every homeless person you see on the street (a care bag including hygiene products and food is helpful too.) Cancer patients enjoy a nice blanket while going through chemotherapy. Animal shelters will often give blankets to the animals so they can lay on something soft. Hospitals will use them to give to patients experiencing any care. Schools will use them to give students who may be struggling at home and without a blanket (pillows and socks are great to give too.) So many people can benefit from the comfort of a blanket!

That’s a very small list of ways to give back this holiday season. Your money is better spent helping out in honor of someone rather than buying a coffee mug they’ll never use because they already have too many. Take care of those in your community who may be struggling, especially in the cold and with school not in session. Many people are not given the opportunities others are and so it’s up to us to make sure every person is taken care of. Stay safe this holiday season and enjoy every minute of giving!

Kate is majoring in writing, rhetoric, and technical communication and minoring in entrepreneurship. You can usually find her at Starbucks and listening to true crime podcasts.
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.