Get Hungry for ‘The Hunger Games!’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It has been said that most books turned into movies leave readers upset and disappointed, yet we all know we wait for the day our favorite novels come to life in the form of film. Now that the Harry Potter movie series has come to an end and the Twilight series finds Bella and Edward’s days dwindling, science fiction and mystical fans need a new outlook to fill their fantasy void. Thankfully, Suzanne Collin’s has come to the rescue with her trilogy, The Hunger Games.

Released in 2008, the first book of the trilogy, The Hunger Games, tells the story of Katniss Everdeen, a teenage girl living in a post-apocalyptic world in the country of Panem. Panem is divided into twelve districts all governed by the Capitol, which holds power over all of the nation. Each year the Capitol puts on the “Hunger Games,” an event where one boy and one girl from each district are chosen at random to compete in a televised battle where only one tribute may win.

Each tribute fights in a number of deathly events to win the title of the Hunger Games winner. Before the battle, all 24 tributes are trained and transformed into fighting machines with a personalized team creating them into exactly what the Capitol wants them to be. The young tributes are forced to leave their friends, family and districts with the high chance that they may not return. The winner of the games is rewarded with a luxurious life back in their district.

The brave Katniss volunteers herself as tribute when her innocent younger sister is picked at lottery to be District Twelve’s tribute. The book follows Katniss’s emotionally and physically draining journey as she is transformed into the ideal tribute battling for her life and representing the poorest district. Growing up with little food for her and her family, Katniss is a natural hunter, which becomes a strong benefit for her during the games.

The book is a quick read leaving readers hungry and eager to know who will win the games. Within pages the readers fall in love with Katniss’ disturbing story and immediately become a fan of District Twelve’s tribute. As the plot thickens, readers find themselves not only rooting for Katniss but for many other innocent tributes whom were forced to fight for their lives.

The Hunger Games fans eagerly await March 23, 2012, the release of the first film of the trilogy. With an all-star cast starring famous actors and actresses such as Elizabeth Banks, Woody Harrelson, Lenny Kravtiz and Stanley Tucci, readers are excited to see their favorite book come to life. Similar to other previous science fiction books turned film, the movie will also give a new starlet a chance to shine, as Jennifer Lawrence was cast to play the role of Katniss.

With a perfect mix of action, science fiction, love, and even humor, The Hunger Games is currently the topic of every conversation! So before you butter your popcorn and sit down for what I am sure is going to be one of the best films of 2012, hit up your local Barnes & Noble and grab The Hunger Games.Or better yet, purchase the whole trilogy, which includes the second novel, Catching Fire and the third and final Mockingjay as I am sure you will be eager to keep reading after the first cliffhanger! You don’t want to miss out on these games, collegiettes. I promise you will become addicted and hungry for The Hunger Games!

Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.