Style > Fashion

Four Transitional Summer-to-Fall Fashion Pieces you Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

The end of summer and beginning of fall in the state of Virginia bring unpredictable weather patterns. Will it be eighty and sunny today? Or perhaps sixties and occasional rain showers throughout the day? With these questions accompany the task of finding trendy autumn outfits that go hand-and-hand with the ever-changing temperatures. Here’s a list of trendy items for this fall fashion season that can take you from summer to autumn in a pinch!

Blazers

The first item trending this fall that can help you through this seasonal transition is a blazer! Blazers for this can come in any style: cropped, two-toned (very trendy at the moment), oversized, checkered, anything! Simply add it to an outfit when it gets chilly in the mornings or evenings to keep yourself warm and to take your appearance to the next level. Blazers can be paired with dresses, skirts, jeans, and even biker shorts to create the perfect summer-to-fall fit.

Skirts

This ties right into the next trend: pleated and/or plaid skirts. The soft girl and preppy girl aesthetics that we witnessed last fall have carried right into this year’s autumn fashion trends. Skirts can be paired with light sweaters or cardigans to keep warm and can even be made to dress up or dress down depending on what look you’re going for while on campus.

Tights

If you’re worried about your legs getting chilly, pair a skirt with a pair of tights or thigh high socks that have likely been flooding your For You page if you are on FashionTikTok. If you think plain tights are too much of a bore, spice your fit up with stylish tights! Patterned tights can range from cute to quirky, while torn or ripped tights can give your look an edgy vibe. Sheer tights can also give a sexy or sultry look to your overall outfit.

Swackets

Sweater-jackets, just like blazers, can not only used to be layer and create a nice outfit, but they’re also super practical! Again, you can use these in the chilly hours of the mornings and evenings or simply all dat if it’s a particularly cold day. Flannel jackets are especially “in” right now, flooding the store racks and even being worn by characters in TV shows like the cast of the Outer Banks in Season 2.

Enjoy the season, and have fun styling!

Brittany is double majoring in Communications and Studio Art, with a concentration in drawing and painting. She enjoys Disney films, romance novels, writing in her spare time, and decorating for the holidays. She's also an obsessive cat and dog mom with plenty of cute pictures to share.