This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Yes, you read that correctly. The iconic horror game that everyone played at sleepovers in 2014 is coming to life in a new film adaptation, and everyone is talking about it. It features Josh Hutcherson as the main star of the film, Mike Schmidt, and fans will be able to watch him in a new type of role as the brave security guard taking on the terrifying animatronics.

The movie will be released in theaters and for streaming on Peacock, starting at 8pm on October 26th (last night!!). It is surprisingly only rated P-13 in an attempt to appeal to the younger audiences. So what is the movie actually about?

The movie is based entirely on the game and in turn, the plot doesn’t deviate very much. In a nutshell, Mike Schmidt gets a new job working the night security shift for Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzeria. He quickly learns that this is no ordinary security job. There are four animatronics that begin to move throughout the night. These four are Bonnie, Chica, Foxy, and of course Freddy himself. Mike and his younger sister Abby (Piper Rubio) fight for their lives to combat these supernatural figures while trying to understand the meaning behind it all.

The film is directed by Emma Tammi, known previously for her movies ‘The Wind’ and ”The Left Right Game’.

“Stepping into the rich, terrifying world of Freddy’s alongside Scott Cawthon, Blumhouse and Jim Henson’s Creature Shop is beyond thrilling. I cannot wait for audiences to immerse themselves in the wild and wonderful playground we are creating,”

Emma Tammi, Deadline 2022

It is a highly anticipated film, especially because of how big the fanbase is. There have been eight main games in the franchise, as well as several spin-offs and fan-made games. Reviews for the film will be released October 27th at 3am. This is not typical, as most movies release reviews long before a film is released to promote and excite fans. Does this mean that they are hiding negative reviews of the film? Only time will tell. So grab your popcorn and get ready to get scared to kick off this Halloweekend.

senior jmu communications i love sushi, boba, and slay