This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

JMU offers many places for students to hangout, study and just have a good time. I interviewed 18 different students to see where their favorite spot on campus was and here were the responses!

Many have a love for the quiet when studying for classes and exams:

Huda Abdulkadir, Sophomore, CIS Major

“Hmm so usually I study at UREC because it’s never loud, but I also love studying in Duke Hall when I have time because it’s so quiet and nice!”

Addy Coryell, Sophomore, Art Major

“Duke Hall at night”

Catherine Carson, Sophomore, English and Art History Major

“My favorite place to study is Duke Hall because no one uses it except the art majors, so it’s always quiet and empty and when you get tired of studying, you can look at the art”

Jess Lewton, Junior, Hospitality Management

“I like Carrier, Godwin and somewhere quiet!”

Abigail Fine, Junior, Accounting Major

“My favorite place is probably Showker! I just really like the feel of the building and I usually sit on the second floor at the study tables and that’s just the best place for me to study!”

When asked about their favorite place on Campus, these dukes chose their favorites based on food and coffee options:

Joy Thompson, Junior, International Business Major

“My favorite places to hang out or study are Festival, Madison Union, and SSC! There is a lot of seating selection, spacious tables and desks, and there’s also food and coffee in reach without leaving the building!”

Erin Mcfarland, Sophomore, Hospitality Management

“I hang out in Madison Union the most! I love Auntie Anne’s”

Adam Lundquist, Junior, Finance Major

“SSC because you can study there and eat there and it has the tutor and writing center to help you with sh*t”

David Gutierrez, Junior, CIS Major

“I’d say Mrs. Greens is my favorite. The ladies who work there are nice. It’s a buffet but it feels more like a coffee shop and there is unlimited coffee. Plus, they also don’t kick you out after lunch like at D-Hub!”

Then there’s the classic Carrier Library Vs. East Campus Library Debate:

Jenni Waters-Heflin, Junior, Health Science Pre-Med Major

“I think ECL is my favorite study spot”

Kat Durbin, Junior, Nursing Major

“When I’m not in my dorm, I’d say Carrier”

Tess Atkinson, Junior, Business Management Major

“I prefer ECL! It’s modern and I like the open space.”

Llana Doroteo, Junior, Economics Major

“ ECL because it’s newer, cleaner, bigger and compared to carrier, it’s easier to access for people who live off campus”

Tim Klein, Junior, Economics Major

“ECL because it looks nice on the outside and inside and it’s not Carrier.”

And last but not least, many Dukes are all about the relaxing views on campus:

Sam Nicholson, Junior, Communications Major

“If it’s a nice day outside, I love being on the quad looking at Wilson. It is a chill spot to run into people and hangout. If it’s not such a nice day, SSC is the place to be!”

Lexi Rehkemper, Junior, Health Services Administration Major

“One of my favorite spots when it’s warm, is Burrus Fountain”

Rachel Pennington, Junior, Justice Studies and Political Science Major

“There’s this hill behind E-Hall up from the gravel parking lot. When it is a nice night out, you can see all the stars and the cityscape. You have to walk up the hill or else you can’t really see it from the road.”

Esther, Sophomore, Intelligence Analyst Major

“I like the patio on East Campus because it’s peaceful and you can see a lot of the mountains”

So regardless of if you’re looking for a chill study spot, a traditional library, a place with great food and coffee, or simply a place to relax, JMU has got you covered!

Senior English Major with a concentration in Creative Writing. Proud dog mom that consumes too much green tea. Planning to attend Graduate School for Strategic Public Relations and Digital Media. 
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.