Style

Downtown Harrisonburg’s Cutest New Shop: Water Street Vintage and Bohemian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Recently, I came across a relatively new store in Downtown Harrisonburg. When you enter from the street, you’ll see a vinyl record store on one side, and on the other, you’ll see Water Street Vintage and Bohemian. As its name suggests, the vintage shop is located on West Water Street. I stopped by the store with my dad over parents weekend and was impressed by the incredibly unique clothing, hats, knick-knacks, and beautiful displays.

A few weeks after my visit, I realized Water Street Vintage was the perfect place to contact about a donation for my sorority’s Influential Women’s Brunch in November. Each year, my sorority, Alpha Sigma Alpha, holds a brunch for our sisters to celebrate the influential women in their lives. We hold a raffle at the event, consisting of baskets, gift cards, and more. All raffle ticket proceeds go towards the Liz Nass Scholarship, which raises money for a sister’s tuition or books for school.

When I reached out to the store’s owner, Mike Harlow, he was eager to help and generously offered a gift card for our cause. When I went to pick up the donation, I was greeted by a warm smile and a store full of nostalgia, beautiful patterns, and colors. I decided to have a look around for myself and I found a gorgeously intricate, black belt with silver accents. I wanted to purchase the belt even though the owner had pointed out a small tear in the leather to me. Mr. Harlow found the tear to be unacceptable and offered to fix the belt for me, free of cost. After a few broken sewing needles and glue that wouldn’t hold up, we both realized it would need a deeper fix. Though I still found it to be in great shape, he deemed it worthless and gave me the belt for free. I was so admirable of Mr. Harlow’s attempts to mend my belt, his donation, and after all his efforts, giving me his merchandise for free. Water Street Vintage and Bohemian has the warmest atmosphere, both stemming from its timeless pieces and it’s inviting owner. To all visiting Downtown Harrisonburg, I highly recommend making a stop at this alluring home of both vintage and bohemian fashions.

Carley Prendergast was born and raised in Virginia Beach, Virginia. She is currently pursuing a B.A. in Writing, Rhetoric and Technical Communication at James Madison University. She is passionate about all things fashion and media and would love to incorporate that into a journalistic profession in the future.