Do You Really Know All About JMU?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

So you’ve heard the typical inside scoop around campus, but do you know these fun facts? Test your knowledge about James Madison University.

1. There are 72 undergraduate degree programs offered and 40 master’s degree programs offered by JMU!

2. The total enrollment of students at JMU is a whopping 20,855 as of fall 2014…and over 10,000 are women!

3. Three of the last, largest Chestnut trees in North America are located on the Quad, right outside of Jackson Hall.

4. The rock on the Quad is called the “kissing rock.” Back when the women were not allowed to be alone with men on campus, they would hide behind the rock to kiss. Rumor says if you kiss someone on the rock, you will marry that person.

5. There was a day when E-Hall was named “Dolly’s”… just like “fetch,” it never happened.

6. JMU has its very own secret society called “IN8.”

7. President Alger has performed on national television, travelled internationally with choral groups, and has even made personal recordings.

8. Despite popular belief, apparently only 6% of JMU students are from New Jersey. [The JMU student body is made up of 72% in-state students and 28% out-of-state].

9. Also, NON-Greek life students are actually the majority of the population. 10% of male students and 12% of female students are associated with Greek life. BUT no matter what, we are still one big happy family!

10. According to urban legend, JMU has multiple “ghosts” on campus…you can read about the stories here: http://www.jmu.edu/centennialcelebration/ghosts.shtml

11. The youngest JMU student is 17 years old. While the oldest JMU student is 78 years young.

12. Each Duke Dog costume costs about $2,000.

13. The most common female name is Emily, the most common name for males is Andrew.

14. The Wilson Bell Tower plays the fight song every day at 5 p.m.

15. The tunnels continue to be a bucket list item for students to experience at JMU. They were used to avoid inclement weather by students and teachers around the Quad until 1960 when they were closed off to everyone except service technicians. Myths about the tunnels include: violent murder, suicide by hanging, abandoned newborns, strange noises, footsteps or assorted other things that go bump in the night, take your pick!

16. The floor at Forbes is heated to keep the performers’ feet warm.

17. Every Duke bleeds purple. ;) #JMiloveU

Hey everyone! I'm Megan, a senior at James Madison University pursuing a double major in the School of Media Arts and Design (with a concentration in journalism) and political science, and a minor in political communication. I am an avid Netflix viewer, obsessed with breakfast foods, and a yogi-- queue the headstand. I love to read news and stay up to date with all things pop culture...and I also love to write, go figure! Due to extreme wanderlust, I am always on the move, and I look forward to traveling the world and whatever comes with it. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you have. Enjoy! 
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.