DIY Gifts For That Special Somebody

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Why spend precious hours trying to find the perfect gift when you can just make it in minutes? At most, these adorable gifts might take you an hour or two! Here are some DIY gifts that you can make for next to nothing. All you need is a creative mind and a person who you want to make smile.

A Jar of Love

Have an empty mason jar lying around? Why not decorate the jar and fill it up with some goodies? For my one-year anniversary I decided to make a homemade cookie jar for my sugar-crazed boyfriend. I took a mustard jar, wrapped construction paper around the jar and added some clear plastic wrapping paper for protection. I then drew a cartoon of the Cookie Monster and glued it to the front of the jar, adding some tiny cookie decorations. Lastly, I tied a large ribbon around the lid.

Inside the jar I placed Hershey’s Kisses and large, hand-drawn chocolate chip cookies with a personal note behind each of them. If there is any cartoon character or activity that your significant other likes, making a jar for them would be “sweet”! 

A Mustache Mug
For any person who needs a chuckle, a mustache mug is sure to do the trick. Just fill it up with a drink or some sweets and you have a mug that will definitely be a reminder of your love on a chilly night.

Fun Floppy Notebook
This gift will make any technology-savvy person appreciate how you care. Recycle an old floppy disc to make a cute notebook. Just ask a friend or even your computer department if they have any spare ones you can use. 

Felt Magnets
You’ve noticed that the refrigerator at your special someone’s place is looking a bit bare. Felt magnets are an adorable way to spruce up any fridge.

Paperclip Earring
Now you can finally use those paperclips that have been sitting in your book bag or dorm without any purpose to make some cute earrings! Talk about being resourceful.

Ivelisse Flores is a senior at James Madison University. She is a Writing Rhetoric and Technical Communications major, and a Creative Writing minor. She is a Chapter Advisor for many branches across the globe, and a Contributing Writer for Her Campus JMU. A city girl from Manhattan, she loves to go out around town with a "Shop-till-you-drop" attitude. On campus, you can find Ivelisse involved in other organizations such as The Blue Ridge Church of Christ Christian Fellowship, The Society of Professional Journalists, Rudi-SIA, and Curls. An avid volunteer, Ivelisse also strives to balance her time with schoolwork as well as a part-time job with the Center For Multicultural Student Services. When she isn't looking through the latest fashion magazine, you can find Ivelisse eating massive amounts of sushi, cheesecake, or singing aloud to a Disney song on her Ipod. Ivelisse enjoys all things girly, and is fanatical about the color pink.