sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Definitive List of the Best Halloween Movies Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

This list doesn’t necessarily include only horror films, so yes, perhaps you’ll see a Halloween movie made for five year-olds right below a slasher film. Things happen. This list isn’t ranked in any particular order. They all have earned a gold star in their own right.

1. Halloweentown (1998), Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge (2001), Halloweentown High (2004), Return to Halloweentown (2006)

The first three are undisputed facts; don’t even try to say otherwise. The fourth, however, is debatable. Debbie Reynolds, aka Grandma Aggie, is in the final installment, so it’s still got merit.

2. Casper (1995), Casper Meets Wendy (1998)

Christina Ricci and her Casper are as precious as can be, and who doesn’t love a good father/daughter bonding storyline? As for Casper Meets Wendy, Hilary Duff. That is all.

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

It doubles as a Christmas movie, too! How convenient.

4. The Addams Family (1991)

Wednesday Addams is you when you wake up, you when you’re late, and you when you’re annoyed. Embrace her.

5. Hocus Pocus (1993)

The Sanderson sisters are goals, minus the death and other illegal activities they partake in.

6. Beetle Juice (1988)

Go ahead and say his name three times to summon him. He’s funny and a good party guest.

7. Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Zombies before they were cool and called “walkers.”

8. Sinister (2012)

You might not be able to look at your younger siblings the same way again, but it’s all in the name of a fun movie night, right?

9. Child’s Play (1998)

Your mom’s antique doll? Keep an eye on it. If you feel brave enough to continue the series then you’ll be rewarded with the comic relief of Chucky and his wife in the fourth installment. Just some good karma coming back around. Kind of.

10. Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Johnny Depp and some more Christina Ricci, plus a headless horseman. Great stuff.

Other Halloween movies to check out (because I couldn’t choose just ten): Fun Size, Twitches, Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street, Scary Godmother: Halloween Spooktacular, Corpse Bride, Edward Scissorhands and many, many more.

Simply trying to figure out which flannel I like best.
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.