Deena Agamy: President of To Write Love on Her Arms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Traveling across the Atlantic Ocean to earn her double college degree, sophomore Deena Agamy never ceases to try new things.  Living in Germany since middle school, Deena decided to return to the States to study political science and psychology with a minor in biology.

Deena tries to get the most out of her JMU experience by becoming involved with the Marching Royal Dukes, Phi Alpha Delta (a pre-law fraternity), and being an RA.  To top it off, she recently became president of the national organization To Write Love on Her Arms (TWLOHA).  Because this is a lesser-known club on campus with a strong mission, I decided to find out more about what this club entails.

What is TWLOHA?

TWLOHA is a nonprofit organization dedicated to finding hope and support for anyone suffering with suicide, depression, addiction, or self-injury through many different events and activities.

Why did you decide to get involved?

I decided to get involved because I wanted to give back to an organization that had given me a lot of hope when I was struggling with suicide in the past.  I think it’s very important to help raise awareness for those who are thinking about hurting themselves and to let them know there is hope.

How many people are involved?

We have about ten active members at JMU, but there are students that are involved in the organization all over the country.

What types of activities/events do you do with the organization?

Every year, we write letters to wounded soldiers at a hospital in Germany.  We also volunteer at the Arc, which is a center for disabled persons.  We host an annual benefit concert to raise money for the organization – this year it is being held at Clementine’s on Wednesday, February 27th from 9-11pm.  We have three local bands performing and it’s usually very successful.  Another thing we do is exchange CDs of inspirational or motivational songs with other college TWLOHA chapters – this semester we exchanged with Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania. We also put up inspirational post-it notes and balloons around campus.

Deena continues to inspire many, not only with her work ethic, but with her willingness to help others in grave situations as well.  Support TWLOHA by coming to the benefit concert or come to weekly meetings at 8:00pm Tuesday nights in Roop 327!