College Graduate…Now What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Class of 2013, you did it. You made it through four years of college, but now what? Now is the time where everyone begins to take their own paths in life.

Some of your friends may be moving back home, some may start their new job the day after graduation, but not everyone goes down the same road.

You’ll soon realize that not everyone finds a job before or directly after graduation; in fact more often than not it takes several months and in some cases over a year. That’s normal. When it’s meant to be it will happen. While you’re waiting to hear back, try and relax and enjoy what time you have left before a job consumes your time.

There are others who just need a mental break, and that’s completely normal too. Whether it is the whole summer or an entire year, it’s a good idea to let yourself relax and breathe. You spent the last four years of your life cramming for tests, being involved in various organizations and staying up all night for projects. You won’t have another period in life where you can just sit and figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life or enjoy the moment. Graduating college is a big accomplishment so reward yourself with some free time.

Travel the world. There are so many different places to go and explore here. Whether you leave the country or not, there’s no greater time to do this while you’re still young. Backpack across Europe, go to Spain, road trip across the country—   wherever you may go, enjoy your time and expand your knowledge.

Maybe you just want to stay in familiar grounds, your parents’ house. Moving back in with your parents is not something frowned upon right after graduation. You’ve been away from your family for the majority of the past four years so take time to spend with them. They are there to support and love you and know you’ll move out when the time is right.

So if you’re unsure of what to do once you receive that diploma, don’t fret. Not everyone has the rest of their lives planned out. Sit back, relax and reminisce for a while on all the memories you’ve made and all the ones you’ll make in this next chapter of life.