This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Carly SnowdonYear: Class of 2016Major: SMAD – Converged MediaMinor: British Communication & Media

What attracted you to drawing and art in general?I’ve just loved art my whole life. My mom was an art teacher so I did a lot of art growing up. For a long time, I thought I couldn’t draw so I mostly did other forms of art. I took art throughout high school, but I didn’t really like it because they kind of have an expectation for everything to be a certain style and it was uninspiring to me. I didn’t start drawing until maybe freshman year of college when I found my own style artistically, and now all I do is draw.

What’s your favorite part of what you do?Drawing is just how I love to spend my time. I’ll just go into a coffee shop or sit somewhere on campus and listen to some good music and draw for hours. Do a little people-watching, drink a little tea. It’s just my favorite thing. Also just recently I’ve starting designing tattoos that friends of mine actually go and get done, so that’s really cool too.

Where do you see your designs in the next 5 years?I’ve been drawing for a while, but just within the past year I’ve started selling drawings and doing customized freelance work, so hopefully that will continue to happen! I really enjoy working freelance. I definitely intend to make a website or start an Etsy shop eventually so I can sell more designs. I don’t get to draw quite as much as I’d like to because I’m really busy with school and everything, so hopefully when I graduate I can start working on some bigger projects and produce more work. 

How can people see your work?The best way to see my work right now is on Instagram: @carlunadesigns. That’s where I keep the biggest collection of my work so far, but I am working on creating a portfolio website at the moment.

How can people contact you?I can be contacted by email at carly.liz@hotmail.com. Or you can contact me on Instagram @Carlunadesigns!

Have you ever thought "Am I the only one who..."? I'm sure you have, and I promise you're not. Live the life you love. I don't take things too seriously, because life is too short to be so obsessed with what everyone thinks of me. I became a writer so I could say what everyone else is thinking. I believe that treating others the way you want to be treated means you will never have to regret a decision you make. I make mistakes, but that's what makes great articles!
I am a junior at JMU studying Media Arts & Design- Corporate Communication. I am a member of Phi Mu Fraternity in addition to Her Campus! I was born in Troy, OH and grew up in both Kings Mountain, NC and Richmond, VA. I am the oldest child, the only blonde in my immediate family, and the only one who has 20/20 vision.