CALLING ALL READERS! WHY YOU SHOULD GET THE STORYGRAPH

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

For a lot of people, Goodreads is the place to log all your books, build your TBR (to be read), check in to what your friends are reading, as well as many other awesome features. Goodreads is great, but if you like that, I highly suggest you check out The StoryGraph!

Personally, I feel like The StoryGraph is a lot more accessible, with more simpler features than Goodreads. In the same way that Goodreads can show you your reading statistics (ie. the genre you read the most, how many pages you’ve read total, etc.), The StoryGraph has a way of displaying that information through pie charts which are way cooler, in my opinion, as these are way easier to view and understand than bar and line graphs on Goodreads. On The StoryGraph, the pie charts break down if you read more digital or print media, fiction or nonfiction, what genre you read the most, what authors you read the most, if you read more fast, medium, or slow-paced books, and more.

These unique displays of your reading history and data then help The StoryGraph recommend you better books in the future. It can even help you understand more about your own reading habits that maybe you didn’t know previously. Before I made my own account and plugged my reading history, I had no idea that the book “mood” I read the most of was “adventurous” And if you’re curious, the book mood that I’ve read the least of is “inspiring.” Which makes sense, as I don’t read as many memoirs and self-help books as I do fantasy and mythological novels. But after learning information like that, going book-shopping at Barnes and Noble has never been the same. I feel like I know a bit more of what I gravitate towards in a book. Or maybe, since I’ve not read a lot of informative books, perhaps I should give myself that challenge to see if I learn something new about a certain topic.

If you’re looking for something a bit different from Goodreads, or if you want to start being a reading girlie, check out The StoryGraph! Having a site where it’s easy to track progress and learn more about your reading style can help motivate you to read more, or to keep you accountable with books that maybe you’ve started and haven’t finished through annual reading challenges (that’s a note to myself as I’m only 11 books into my 15-book reading challenge for the year and December is right around the corner).

Alexa is a Communications major and a Women's Gender and Sexuality Studies minor.