Call Me, Beep Me, If You Wanna Reach Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.
Social media is problematic in any relationship– especially when face-to-face communication, clear communication, and active communication within the relationship are breeched.

Maintaining a healthy relationship while using social media is not difficult, but people forget the little things that cause issues to arise in the first place. Every relationship is different, but the way in which social media today is used is hindering the strength of many romantic relationships. Addressing every issue with social media and relationships is nearly impossible; one key problem couples face is knowing when to pull away from the computer and focus on the relationship in person again.

It is not the social media itself, but rather when partners get so wrapped up in the social media that creates a problem. Most couples will overlook the importance of talking in-person with their partner because they have already done so over various social media forms. A partner cannot be expected to be interested in a relationship when his mate ignores the importance of interaction in person.

Aside from being locked into technology and ignoring the relationship itself, couples who engage in extensive social media contact cause ambiguity in their communication to one another. Communication through technology leaves room for unspecified and unsaid words open to interpretation. This is not always bad, but can be confusing for future conversations as well. Facebook can be linked to dissatisfaction in relationships as well as the amount of unclear messages sent between partners.

Unclear messages can also develop as a passive aggressive attempt to tell a partner something that may be uncomfortable to do in person.

Sub-tweeting (and other petty posts) causes unnecessary drama for couples. Announcing a partner’s flaws or mistakes already hurts, but getting called out for something in a public, online forum is way worse. It is bad enough to have a fight with a significant other, but it is even more worse to post a Facebook status about it or tweet about it! While venting about a partner online may give a short term sense of relief, it has the potential to impact the relationship long term. If it is not something you would say in person, it should most definitely not be mentioned online.

Communicating through social media is not the problem here. It is the way that couples communicate through social media to each other that ensues problems for relationships. Couples who are open with one another in person feel nothing to hide or passively state through social media forums. Those who question the integrity of their partner’s messages will probably question the strength of the overall relationship. Couples must address what works and what does not for their relationships.
Have you ever thought "Am I the only one who..."? I'm sure you have, and I promise you're not. Live the life you love. I don't take things too seriously, because life is too short to be so obsessed with what everyone thinks of me. I became a writer so I could say what everyone else is thinking. I believe that treating others the way you want to be treated means you will never have to regret a decision you make. I make mistakes, but that's what makes great articles!