This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

So what if snow is covering the ground and mittens have been your accessory staple? Every good trend setter and bargain hunter knows that in the middle of one season, another retail seasons begins. Colorful cutoff shorts start filling department stores and the always-haunting bikini aisle begins to emerge. While browsing the newest trends for spring, your wallet can take a serious beating. DIY is here to save the day! Here are some easy, do-it-yourself projects that can transform items already in your closet and cost very little: a college girl’s best friend!

Cut-Off Shorts

One of the easiest trends is to make your own shorts simply by snipping a pair of old jeans. High-waisted shorts are the most popular to make. A pair in the store can run from $35-$50. For a cheaper alternative, buy a pair of 90’s jeans at Good Will, or another resale store, which will cost around $10. To cut the perfect shorts, try the jeans on first and step in front of a mirror. Look at where you would like your shorts to end and mark it with chalk or a marker. Then, lay the jeans flat on the floor and carefully cut with fabric scissors. Although this is not a difficult step, take your time to avoid jagged edges. Once finished, you can customize further by adding studs to the pockets or lace trimming to the bottom.

Bow Back Tee

When the sun starts shining, you naturally want to show a little skin. Bethany Mota, a popular Youtuber, created the perfect DIY shirt to transition into spring. The materials required are a sheet of cardboard, a rotary cutter, liquid stitch (to bond the fabric together), a pair a scissors, and the shirt you would like to use. No sewing is required. Bethany goes step by step in how to convert your plain tee into an adorable and unique bow top, perfect to pair with your DIY shorts.

Bandeau Top

The bandeau top is a cute bralette that can bring a pop of color to any outfit. To make your own, all you need is a large t-shirt, a strip of fabric (color/pattern up is to you), scissors, and a safety pin. Cut the bottom of the shirt off; this will become the bandeau. Lay the strip of fabric under the bandeau and cut to make both the same size. You can then try on the bandeau top and tie the fabric with a bow in the back to make it tighter. For more customization, you can safety pin a bow to the top of the bandeau. This is the perfect accent under a chiffon top for a night out or a cute alternative to a beach cover up. Its a spring break essential!

Floral Headband

One of the most popular current trends is the floral headband or crown. This looks so effortlessly stylish and is often seen at music festivals, concerts, or even a night out. In the stores, a headband can be $10-$25; however, you can make one for less than $5. Head to the nearest dollar store; they always carry a rather large section of artificial flowers. Pick out the flowers you wish to put on the headband. Next, you will need a pack of stretchy headbands to hold the flowers together. With scissors, cut the flowers from the vine and line them up around the headband. Once you have enough, you can begin hot gluing them onto the headband. This ten minute craft will look boho chic at the next show or party you attend.

Spring is all about out with the old and in with the new. However, that new doesn’t have to leave you without any funds for summer. These DIY outfits are inexpensive and allow the perfect transition from cold to warm weather. Who knew the key to your newest wardrobe was just waiting in your current one!