This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Fall is such a cozy time with candles, Gilmore Girls and cuddled up with your pet. What better way to relax than to read a good book? Here are five book recommendations to read in the fall that are a MUST:

Verity by colleen hoover

This book is the type you won’t want to put down and will leave you on the edge of your seat. It’s a psychological thriller mixed with some romance that you’ll be in love with. We follow Lowen, a struggling writer, who receives a job offer to finish a book series by the popular author, Verity Crawford, who isn’t physically well enough to do it herself. She arrives at Crawford’s home and while working through each manuscript, Lowen discovers a certain one that seems to be one that no one was supposed to ever see.

anatomy: a love story by dana schwartz

Who doesn’t love historical fiction with a bit of Grey’s Anatomy vibes? Well, here’s just the book for you! This story takes place in the 19th century in Scotland where Hazel Sinnett, a very headstrong woman, is set on becoming a surgeon no matter what. Even if that means teaming up with Jack, a restriction man, and digging up dead bodies and practicing techniques on them. A slow-burn romance, gothic mystery, and strong female leads? Sign. Me. Up.

Ace of spades by faridah àbíké-íyímídé

If your aesthetic is dark academia, you’ve come to the right place. This novel is about two high school seniors, Chiamaka and Devon, who get chosen to be a part of the elite school’s senior class prefects, the perfect touch on their college applications. But things start going downhill when someone starts sending anonymous text messages to them, trying to reveal their secrets and completely flip their world upside down. Thriller, lies, social justice and romance, this book is perfect to just completely throw yourself into reading all day until you’re finished.

reminders of him by colleen hoover

Colleen Hoover knows how to pull your heartstrings! This book is centered on love, loss and forgiveness and has a dual point of view using flashbacks and letters. This book follows Kenna Rowan, a mother who just got released from prison after serving five years and going back to her hometown in hopes to rekindle her relationship with her four-year-old daughter. Readjusting to life back home becomes a struggle as everyone in her daughter’s life makes it impossible to kindle any relationship. That is until a local bar owner, who still has some form of relationship with her daughter, tries to help Kenna out. Get ready to grab some tissues because you’re gonna cry a river.

red, white & royal blue by Casey McQuiston

Sweet, wholesome, and uplifting type of book to make you happy, cry and happy cry. McQuiston paints a story of two boys, one the son of the president of the United States and the other, the son of Britain. Both families have been enemies for years. One night at a royal wedding, both boys come across each other and, in short, accidentally cause a big mess with Britain/American relations. It’s up to them to stage a friendship but it seems like love has other plans. This is the type of book that you won’t want to put down because of how spicy and cute it is!

Angelina Jalali is a sophomore Media Arts and Design major at James Madison University. In her free time she likes to read, work out, content create, and bake!